internal cuds and retained internal cuds

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2003
      While we're on the subject of cuds, I thought I'd mention the
      existence of an error type that has escaped notice. This is
      the "retained internal cud".

      When a large flake spalls off the die face, and is unconnected to the
      rim, it is called an "internal cud" or a "large interior die break".
      Large internal cuds are most often associated with split dies.

      I have seen a number of split dies in which the split seems to
      bifurcate and pass to the sides of a weakly struck part of the design
      that is raised above the level of the rest of the design. This
      apparently reflects the presence of a retained internal cud. It
      seems that a rather thick flake (perhaps roughly triangular in cross
      section) sinks into the die face, quite possibly acting as a wedge to
      drive the two halves of the die face further apart.