Suspicious double-struck steel cent

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2014
      I'm harbor deep suspicions about this coin:

      The surface is unnaturally shiny, the strikes too perfectly placed, and the strikes are on a blank rather than a planchet.  The presence of numerous "strike lines" in the slide zone of the leftward strike completes a disturbing picture.
    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2014
        You're right Mike - it's N.G.

        Fred
      • oldsubguru
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2014
          The whole thing looks unreal, from the blank to the strikes. Chinese?

          In a message dated 3/10/2014 2:36:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, fred@... writes:

          You're right Mike - it's N.G.

          Fred

        • colonial_john_c4
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014

            Mike and Fred - just curious on the reverse striking just above UNUM - these flow lines look pretty good? Is that almost IMPOSSIBLE? to duplicate outside the mint - I see your point on all these striking lines - weird - but these flow lines - false? Its a strange one - perhaps then the RED FLAG.

            JPL

          • colonial_john_c4
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
              Also look at the bifurcation effect of U in UNUM - WOW - that strong bifurcation effects on this one letter top ... but as you suggest it seems to have diagnostics outside of the normal realm for this type of error ...
            • Robert Risi
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
                Just look at the blank portion(planchet) of this coin. Looks so bad and not even round. I wonder how off the weight is on this coin. And it's so sad that somebody is going to spend big $$$ on this crap.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
                  Metal flow can be duplicated in counterfeit strikes.  So this feature is not all that reliable as an indicator of authenticity.

                  In a message dated 3/11/2014 7:17:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time, johnmenc@... writes:

                  Mike and Fred - just curious on the reverse striking just above UNUM - these flow lines look pretty good? Is that almost IMPOSSIBLE? to duplicate outside the mint - I see your point on all these striking lines - weird - but these flow lines - false? Its a strange one - perhaps then the RED FLAG.

                  JPL

                • numismistake
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
                    The '3' does not look correct. Maybe the angle of the pix? Looks short and not the classic steel cent 3 that was so much different than the '3' used from 1930-1939.
                  • fred_weinberg
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
                      There's also another D/S 1943 Cent on Ebay right now -
                      it's a different look than this piece we're talking about,
                      but it's a counterfeit too - from a different set of dies.

                      I saw the actual coin last week in Atlanta at the ANA;
                      I told the owner it was bad/counterfeit.