Re: Filled die + Strange Rim + Strange Fields on a Fine nickel

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2003
      The missing letters on the reverse certainly appear to have been
      caused by a filled die. The weakness in Jefferson's cheek may be due
      to a filled die, but also could be the result of a slightly weak
      strike. The center of Monticello is poorly struck, and the obverse
      rim at about 1:00 is poorly formed, which would be consistent with a
      weak strike.

      Additionally, the obverse shows obvious signs of severe die fatigue
      (die wear). The puffy letters and textured surface are unmistakable.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Ben"