1991 Lincoln Cent Error.

  • matt_dinger1793
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2014
    Hey gang!

    I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this one? It almost looks like it was struck off center and then forced into the collar causing the finned area. Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Matt
  • dermestid
    Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2014

      It's a stiff collar error.  The planchet was inserted slightly off-center on top of a collar frozen in the "up" position.  When the obverse (hammer) die descended, it rammed the coin into the collar and forced up the portion of the planchet that extended beyond the striking chamber.  Some metal may have been lost in the process.  If that's the case, it would be classified as an elliptical strike clip.  Weigh it and see.

    • matt_dinger1793
      Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14 10:46 AM
        I finally got across this coin again and did get a chance to weigh it. It weighs 2.4 grams
      • dermestid
        Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14 11:51 AM
          It's an off-center strike with a stiff collar error.

          Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14 11:54 AM
            It might qualify as an elliptical strike clip (a type of stiff collar error), provided that the missing weight is due to a slim crescent of metal being sheared off between the hammer (obverse) die and the unmoving collar that was frozen in the "up" position.