Well circulated errors

  • Robert Risi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2014
      Have a question if anyone can really answer this regarding well circulated obvious errors like a major off center coin that's 25-60% off center like buffalo nickels and Indian cents in grades from G4 to VF that just circulated as such so heavy back in the 1800's to about WWII. I understand that these errors back then weren't of interest or collected as they were just spent heavily day by day. Didn't anyone care to even put them aside or was it too much money to tie up a cent or nickel?
      Always wondered about obvious major errors that circulated heavy? Any thoughts and opinions?

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2014
        I think you answered your own question.1- you are correct in that there wasn't much collector interest in errors then. and 2- think of the buying power of a nickel back then. of course this is an exaggeration, but my grandfather was an Italian immigrant.he used to shine shoes in Newark nj after he first quit school in 6th grade.he used to tell me he got 1-2 cents for a shine. most people would also tip another 1-2 cents.he would tell me every now and then , a rich client would give him a nickel. he said he would have to run home and give it to his parents because it was so big and heavy he couldn't carry it around all day. I recently looked up some family on ancestry.com, and I saw records from 1930. his rent was $30/month and his declared income was 1100/year.and that was when he was 28 years old.

        On Friday, January 31, 2014 10:41 PM, Robert Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

        Have a question if anyone can really answer this regarding well circulated obvious errors like a major off center coin that's 25-60% off center like buffalo nickels and Indian cents in grades from G4 to VF that just circulated as such so heavy back in the 1800's to about WWII. I understand that these errors back then weren't of interest or collected as they were just spent heavily day by day. Didn't anyone care to even put them aside or was it too much money to tie up a cent or nickel?
        Always wondered about obvious major errors that circulated heavy? Any thoughts and opinions?

        Sent from my iPhone

      • theocean1ataol
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2014
          I enjoyed that, but I think the answer is more in the mentality of the times.

          The owner of an off center V nickel around a hundred years ago, might wonder if someone would accept his "defective" coin, hence probably delighted to pass it for 5c.

          Just 30 years or so ago, I owned a coin shop, and if I came in my own door looking for error coins, I'd have considered the customer a little off centered.

          As a small shop, I certainly wasn't likely to run into the deep pocketed lunatic who wanted really unusual errors, so I wouldn't have been able to offer much if any had ever come into the store.

          Error coins have only recently gained the respect they deserve, and folks have access to Ebay to connect to that obscure collector who wants that particular error, unlike the days of mom & pop coin shops who had no such connection.

          Hard to imagine, but not that long ago, that off center V nickel that won't fit in a Whitman folder, and therefore isn't much use to the average collector, might have ended up in a dealer junk box.
          Hard to believe, but true

          Bill