What is going on with this coin?

  • Jason Craton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
      Mint mark looks like strike doubling but pretty darn extreme but what
      about the rest of the coin? Obviously I don't think it's hub doubling
      but what is it???
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3016646826
      Jason
    • Jon P. Sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
        Jason:

        The letters "In God We Trust" are also strike doubled. The design
        details which are doubled, I would say are strike doubled, because the
        mint mark and In God We Trust display strike doubling.

        Sincerely,
        Jon Sullivan
        Sullivan Numismatics
        Specializing in Errors and Varieties
        e-mail: snumismatics@...

        On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 12:36 PM, Jason Craton wrote:

        > Mint mark looks like strike doubling but pretty darn extreme but what
        > about the rest of the coin? Obviously I don't think it's hub doubling
        > but what is it???
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3016646826
        > Jason

        <image.tiff>

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
          I would agree with Jon on this one. Even so, the doubling of the
          facial features is a darn peculiar expression of strike doubling
          (a.k.a. "machine doubling", "mechanical doubling, "ejection
          doubling").

          If the flat, shelf-like doubling of the letters wasn't present, I
          would have been inclined to lump it with "stutter strikes". The
          latter are coins that show two or more separate images on one face as
          the result of a single downstroke. Stutter strikes can result from a
          variety of causes -- flexion of the planchet during the strike,
          sudden collapse of a stiff collar during an off-center strike, or a
          bouncing die. Stutter strikes do NOT show the shelf-like doubling
          that is associated with strike doubling. Some stutter strikes may,
          of course, be related to strike doubling.

          For more information on stutter strikes, see the November/December
          2001 Errorscope.

          One other tidbit of information on this auction. A bunch of
          identical or nearly identical coins have been auctioned off by Howard
          Hauk ("hhauk"). The pictures in "Indian Joe's" auction have been
          lifted directly from one of hhauk's auctions. I don't know if this
          was done with his permission. If anyone is interested in bidding, I
          would advise asking the seller if the coin in the picture is the
          exact specimen he is selling.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon P. Sullivan