Another cool Canadian triplet

  • sherwood_park_pennies
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2014
      I placed some photos in the 'Mated and Bonded Pairs' photo album... this is a really cool mated triplet, with the upper two coins forming a single chain strike. Two of these Canadian 1-cent sets are known, both are dated 1979 - given the speed of the presses, shenanigans at the Royal Canadian Mint are suspected in 'assisting' this error being formed.

      I am in the process of writing up this error for a future paper in Errorscope, I would appreciate not sharing these photos until that has occurred.

      Roger
      --
    • dermestid

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 25, 2014

          The Royal Canadian Mint was notorious for 'assisted errors' from 1978 to 1981... Errors like this do not happen spontaneously with Canadian coins, possibly because our mintages are an order of magnitude less than US coins, or, they don't escape the mint - we just generally don't see the fantastic errors that you see in US 1-cent coins (I wish!!). That said, I am not overly versed on how US coins are struck, but it is hard to imagine this happening in the Winnipeg high speed presses. The two triplet sets from 1979 (this set, plus the one shown on Terry Campbell's book) are the only ones that Canadian error collectors up here are aware of...

        • sherwood_park_pennies
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 25, 2014

            Been doing some research and digging Mike, and found this article. Certainly the middle piece has a familiar look to it!

            Roger

            --

            http://www.coinworld.com/articles/printarticle/more-is-better-multiple-brockages-have-divers

          • dermestid
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2014
              1978 especially.  I have two "impossible" and clearly assisted errors from that year.