1974 quarter

  • gandara58
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 483 KB
    Not sure but to me the coin on the right appears to be a bit wider, bigger, not sure how to explain it. Also to me appears that Washington image on the right it's wider also.

    The coin on the right #2
    On the nose it seems to have a bump on it like if it's broken, and underneath the nose there no complete nas troll , and above its upper lip, isn't complete either. Now if you look at the throat area it sticks out more than the one the left.

    Left side of the coin #1
    To me this is a complete coin with no errors. Am I correct?

  • art gandara
    Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2014
      And also take a look at the mint mark. Is there a small "P" over the "D" mint

      Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2014

        Your arrows are pointing to the effects of intentional die abrasion.  It's very common.

      • Art G
        Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2014
          Really, ok good to know.
          Is there any sites or books I can purchase. For the rare or common error coins that are out there.

          Because I can come across all these sites that have errors. Or that have a list of common errors. But this is like a first one to me.

          I had seen a list on all major errors but haven't came across. Something like this.

          Is that why this I a common error. It wouldn't be posted???

          I don't know that's why I ask. I'm a newbie to this....

          Thanks for the info.

          Sent from my iPhone

            Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2014

              For more information on intentional die abrasion, see the March 29, 2010 issue of Coin World.  If you don't yet subscribe, I encourage you to do so.  You'll have access to the archives (and all of my columns) from November 19, 2007 to the present.  The search facility is easy to use.

            • Art G