Error Program

  • numismistake
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2014
      I've been offline for a few days now. After running a Win Vista desktop for 6-1/2 years, my hard drive filled up and like me, it got old. It was time to swap desktop towers only with a new one. I got a good buy on a I-7, 12G ram, 2TB Win 64 bit new tower at Dell. But it runs Win 8, and this is not your dad's operating system (and I'm Dad.) Now it's been upgraded to Win 8.1 overnight (3 hours), and some stuff disappeared. Every tech I spoke to said to stay with WIN 7.

      Does anyone out there have any feedback (or nightmares) on the Win 8.1 operating system on a desktop? (I know this isn't a coin question, but it appears to be an error.)
    • iberdy2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2014
        I have win7 and love it.......wife just got lap-top win8 ....hate it what a joke....if I had it....I would buy 7 and install it on my computer...just saying
      • Jerry Jaske
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2014
          I received an e-mail from H-P today advertising new computers for sale with the line:  Back by popular demand-Windows 7.  I don't know for sure but it sounds like they quit building new pc's with Windows 8 on them.
        • wgfulton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2014

            Like some of you, I am an old timer in chronological years.  However, unlike most of you, I have been involved with computers and computer consulting my entire working career.  Having started with DOS 1,0 way back too long to remember, then migrating to Windows 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1 etc., all the way up, I was pretty entrenched in the Windows 7 world.  And three out of four of my systems are indeed running Windows 7.  That said, I took the bait and decided to do a clean install of Windows 8 on one of my systems.  At first I thought, "What a POS".  Part of the reason was it was difficult to use without a touch screen.  But I persevered and grew to really like it.  But a warning, it is a major departure from Windows 7 and unless you are willing to take the time to properly learn the differences/nuances, it will be a long uphill battle.

            Now to Windows 8.1 auto upgrade.  For some reason, after it installed, my Microsoft Office 2013 upgrade from Office 2010 was completely gone!  It also completely uninstalled my ProCoin 2013 coin inventory program.  Seems that the Windows 8.1 analyses the programs running and if it determines that a program doesn't have the proper drivers, or meet the Microsoft determined criteria, it will uninstall the program.  This was inconvenient for the Office 2013 program, but was catastrophic for me with the Pro-Coin.  Why?  Because Pro-Coin installs a trial version and then goes out to their website to get the licensing information.  Since Pro-Coin was basically shutdown by Collectors Universe in October and the website is gone, you cannot get the licensing information, hence you cannot reload your database.  The Pro-Coin program is now completely useless.

            A good rule of thumb is to backup any data files prior to doing the 8.1 update.

            Now that I am well versed in Windows 8, and have discovered many of the nuances/differences of the OS, I actually prefer Windows 8!  But, and it is indeed a BIG but, if your not ready or prepared to spend the time to learn how to use it, stay with Windows 7.  Just be aware that Microsoft is not going to go back to the Windows 7 interface and eventually you will need to migrate to the newer/newest OS.

          • stevenamills
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2014
              From all indications, HP is bringing back Windows 7 with a vengeance. I'll try to post a link, but I'm not sure if the new and improved Yahoo will take it. If not, just Google HP and Windows 5 - there are plenty of articles.

              http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/hp-s-promotion-of-windows-7-creates-another-challenge-for-next-microsoft-ceo-154904523.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CVp4t5SvBkAASGTmYlQ
            • Burton_Strauss
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 24, 2014

                Actually I hated Win8 - I was one of those who installed a 3rd party start button that booted to the desktop and never looked back. I think the metro tiles updating social information are fine for home but totally inappropriate for work.

                My new machine came with Win8.1 and I left it alone at first (planning to install the start button app again when I got fed up) and have come to like/accept it.

                I hate that what was once one click and a menu is two clicks, but have found I can live with it (and uninstalled the start button app on my 2nd machine).  The "new Windows don't-call-it-a-start-button flag thingy does two things. Everything I was missing is now available

                Left click and click on the down arrow and every app is available.

                Right click the menu of that button shows all the system stuff (shutdown, control panel), etc.

                Sure it's a case of (re)train-the-primate, but I can live with it.

                -----Burton