Article on bogus "struck fragment" now online

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2013

      http://www.coinworld.com/articles/certified-struck-fragment-incompatible-with-m

      For anyone interested, the grading company responsible for encapsulating this howler is NGC.

    • numismistake
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2013
        Is it possible that this what I call a 'pile-up coin'? It was loose in the coining chamber and was pseudo-brockaged by previously struck coins several times while bouncing around in the coining chamber...and then even got strike clipped?

        Just a guess on my part as I have several coins like this, some bent. They were part of a large lot sold to me as damaged coins 10 years ago in a bulk purchase and have some similar characteristics I see here.
      • Michael Evanchik
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2013
          I don't think so. totally looks like attempted squeeze job to me.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2013

            The four contact marks that left recognizable incuse design elements could represent pseudobrockages that occurred inside the Mint.  But there's no way to determine if this was the case.  This coin would not be part of a pile-up within a coinage press as it shows only slight expansion.  The curved notch is not likely to be a strike clip as it doesn't resemble any of the several types of curved strike clips I've encountered over the years.