Clashed Through Foreign Object?

  • JAG68007
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18 3:13 PM
      I came across this 1959-D last night. When I looked at the obverse, I first thought it was a clash and then realized it didn't correspond to any design elements. I then flipped it over and saw the exact same thing on the corresponding area of the reverse. My thoughts are that the dies came together while a foreign object was in the chamber. Something hard enough to leave an imprint on the dies. I realize this is a fairly academic question and that it doesn't make the coin worth enough to retire on. I've added photos to the "Oddball Errors" album. I apologize if this was not the correct place to put them.

      Thank you,

      Jody
    • dermestid

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18 3:20 PM
          Thanks Mike. That's what I assumed. I found several coins from this die pair searching an OBW roll.