Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Dime stock?? [1 Attachment]

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2013
      The expected weight of a Cu-Ni clad quarter struck on dime stock is 4.16 grams. (See the February 20, 2012 Coin World for the calculations).  I have seen quite a few 1970-D dime stock quarters that weigh 4.3 grams and even a few that weigh 4.4 grams.  However, 4.5 grams is really pushing it.  I suspect when the coin weighs this much you're dealing with a rolled-thin error and not a wrong stock error.

      In a message dated 9/14/2013 10:42:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time, rjrisi@... writes:

      Just got this coin in today and bought it as a dime stock quarter. The date 1974 is a known yr however scarce. 1970 is most common by far as well as 67 I think. The weight is even at 4.50 grams which is in tolerance with dime stock quarters I believe. There is weakness on reverse as expected hence as well as more thinner in thickness. Circulated as expected in the VF/XF range. I assume this to be genuine as I'm 99% sure it is. Any opinions as to rarity of date is appreciated.

      Sent from my iPhone