coin error

  • alanimpey@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
      Hi there I think I may have found a 5 pence coin with errors as its my 1st I was wondering if anyone could confirm it for me? Thanks
    • alanimpey@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
              Hi there I think I may have found a 5 pence coin with errors as its my 1st I was wondering if anyone could confirm it for me? Thanks
            • dermestid
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

                You will need to describe the error and post a photo.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, <alanimpey@...> wrote:

                Hi there I think I may have found a 5 pence coin with errors as its my 1st I was wondering if anyone could confirm it for me? Thanks
              • oldsubguru
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                  Somehow your message has been repeated three times. But, back to your question. Do you have any images of the coin in question?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                        Hi there I've posted a picture in the photo section I hope it's clear enough. Thanks
                      • alanimpey@btinternet.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                          I posted it in the " machine doubling and related errors" album
                        • dermestid
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

                            Found it.  The photo is too blurred to make an exact determination.  US coins sometimes develop sunken outlines as the result of die deterioration.  That's the most likely explanation.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                              So is it an error coin? Or just a fake coin gone wrong do you think?
                            • alanimpey@btinternet.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                                I put a different photo in the same place hopefully it's a bit better. The most obvious bit is at the back of the queens neck
                              • dermestid
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                                  The photo is not large enough or clear enough to evaluate the nature of the defect.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013

                                    If my diagnosis is correct, then it would be a minor error with very little premium attached to it.

                                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, <mdia1@...> wrote:

                                    The photo is not large enough or clear enough to evaluate the nature of the defect.

                                    In a message dated 9/8/2013 6:29:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time, alanimpey@... writes:

                                    I put a different photo in the same place hopefully it's a bit better. The most obvious bit is at the back of the queens neck

                                  • fred_weinberg
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                                      I viewed the photo of your coin; as Mike
                                      Mentioned, it's not close-up enough, nor
                                      at the right angle, to see what you're
                                      talking about.

                                      There appears to be some bag marks or other
                                      contact marks of some type on the coin's
                                      surface, but I see nothing significant.

                                      Another scan of your coin, larger, and
                                      'head on' (instead of the angle of this photo)
                                      might lead us to another opinion.