Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] RE: Is the new groups format the end of...

  • oldsubguru
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013
      Is there any part of the ECIE that can be salvaged?

      In a message dated 9/1/2013 12:26:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I did see you could only search by message number. Yes image/album function is very disappointing.

      Other than submitting feedback, I'm not certain what can be done.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, <mdia1@...> wrote:

      I predict a steady withering of activity on this site, now that the "improvements" introduced by Yahoo has made it nearly unusable.  There is no longer a Search facility, making the message board archives inaccessible.  Photo albums can no longer be listed alphabetically or chronologically.  Complete thumbnails are no longer available for albums or individual photos.

      If Yahoo wants to kill the groups concept, why don't they just pull the plug, instead of implementing a slow death?

    • dermestid

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013
          A brief search online shows that there are many platforms for groups.  However, it will take time to see which platforms are suitable for our activities.  I will ask for a collective effort from the members of ECIE to investigate these platforms and get back to us with their capabilities and cost (if any).  The platform would need to:

          1. provide space for a message board
          2. provide space to post and organize photos
          3. provide a search facility for posts based on keywords
          4. the ability to organize photos alphabetically and chronologically
          5. the ability to screen posts

          In a message dated 9/1/2013 7:33:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mdia1@... writes:

[...]

        • Ron Fern
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013
            May I suggest we list the places where internet group can "Home" at, and allow the members to pick several to research, identifying the pluses and minuses. This would streamline the effort, and reduce duplication of effort. Here are a few:
            Google Groups groups.google.com , Groupbox groupbox.com ,  GroupSpaces groupspaces.com , Keep&Share  www.keepandshare.com .

             I'm sure there are more, but here's a start.

            Ronald "Ronn" Fern

            I GoodSearch for St Annes Parish School of Santa Ana, CA
            Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet at www.GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), shopping online at www.GoodShop.com or dining at a restaurant in the www.GoodDining.com network.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013

               I suggest that we wait a few weeks to see if Yahoo repairs the damage or returns the the original format.  Evidently the entire Yahoo group-o-sphere is howling in indignation.

            • jylitalo
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013

                Lots of folks upset. I began composing a scathing feedback message but instead voted on a post that said it well. Over 25K votes on this one already!

                http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/4276993-return-groups-format-to-prior-format-that-works-

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, <mdia1@...> wrote:

                 I suggest that we wait a few weeks to see if Yahoo repairs the damage or returns the the original format.  Evidently the entire Yahoo group-o-sphere is howling in indignation.

              • jerry_jaske
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013
                  I am not seeing the problems reported-maybe my Yahoo software has not been changed. I can still sort photo albums by album name, creator, last date modified. In addition I can select to display the photos as a thumbnail, list, or slideshow. Regarding the messages, I have a search facility at the top of the messages list that I can search by message number or whatever word I'm looking for. i.e. "brockage" for example.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@... wrote:

                  > Is there any part of the ECIE that can be salvaged?
                  >

                  > In a message dated 9/1/2013 12:26:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                  >

                  > I did see you could only search by message number. Yes image/album function
                  > is very disappointing.
                  >
                  > Other than submitting feedback, I'm not certain what can be done.
                  >

                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, <mdia1@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > I predict a steady withering of activity on this site, now that the
                  > "improvements" introduced by Yahoo has made it nearly unusable. There is no
                  > longer a Search facility, making the message board archives inaccessible.
                  > Photo albums can no longer be listed alphabetically or chronologically.
                  > Complete thumbnails are no longer available for albums or individual photos.
                  > If Yahoo wants to kill the groups concept, why don't they just pull the
                  > plug, instead of implementing a slow death?

                • Michael Evanchik
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
                    I didpersonally write to yahoo begging to return the old system- hopefully if enough do the same, maybe they'll do something.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
                      just voted and posted another comment- up to just shy of 30k votes now.