Any good finds at the ANA in Chicago?

  • jylitalo
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20 4:32 PM
      Manned the CONECA table all last week in Chicago. I did get around to a few error dealers tables but I wasn't in the buying mood/mode. Lots of see and tell stuff. Saw some cool errors I've never encountered but they were not for sale. Jon Sullivan had a very cool trio of missing clad layers on the reverse of bicentennial series, $1 50c and 25c with decent grades....I just didn't fall hard enough for them.

      We signed up a good number of folks and I directed them to this website for reference.

      I liked Chicago despite the battle of traffic everyday. The weather was great and I camped all week along the shores of Lake Michigan! Just beautiful there (up north a ways).

      Meet many people I've been working with the last six years or more in the hobby and that was really one of the highlights of the ANA for me this year!
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21 10:31 AM
        It was the best ANA for errors I've been to in a long time. Fred Weinberg, Rich Schemmer, Jon Sullivan, and Mike Maino had tables. Jim Essence was walking the floors. Every table had eye-popping errors of every type imaginable. Given that I have a daughter in college (and eventually medical school), I restricted my purchase to a mated pair of nickels from Jon Sullivan. But what a pair! Each nickel is significantly underweight and each was struck in a common collar. The thicker of the two has a mirror brockage of the obverse design on the reverse face (looks like a first-strike brockage but actually isn't), and a first-strike counterbrockage on the obverse face. Its mate (struck on top of the previous) has a counter-counterbrockage of Jefferson's head on the reverse face and a die-struck obverse design that has similarities in appearance to recent vapor-blasted special issues. However the date is 1995-P. There will be a full write-up in Coin World in a month or two. It took me over 5 hours to figure out the sequence of events responsible for the pair. It required ten steps and four planchets, and that's a minimum.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jylitalo <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Manned the CONECA table all last week in Chicago. I did get around to a few error dealers tables but I wasn't in the buying mood/mode. Lots of see and tell stuff. Saw some cool errors I've never encountered but they were not for sale. Jon Sullivan had a very cool trio of missing clad layers on the reverse of bicentennial series, $1 50c and 25c with decent grades....I just didn't fall hard enough for them.
        >
        > We signed up a good number of folks and I directed them to this website for reference.
        >
        > I liked Chicago despite the battle of traffic everyday. The weather was great and I camped all week along the shores of Lake Michigan! Just beautiful there (up north a ways).
        >
        > Meet many people I've been working with the last six years or more in the hobby and that was really one of the highlights of the ANA for me this year!

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21 4:19 PM
          Hi Mike...glad to hear that you came across so many errors at the show.

          I couldn't make it to Chicago this year, but I hope to find most of the same cast of characters (and errors?) at the Whitman Philadelphia show next month (2 hours away instead of 10).

          Gee, when you described the mated pair you bought from Jon, I almost fell over trying to imagine what it looked like....Could you be kind enough to post some pix for me (us)? It sounds like a real wowser, as Len would say.

          Glad you enjoyed the show.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21 5:13 PM
            I'll post photos after my article comes out in Coin World. Since they're nice enough to employ me as a columnist, the least I can do is give them the scoop. I will say that my description of the sequence of events is likely to leave behind half my readers. But that can't be helped. You can't do an end-run around a complex reality.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mike...glad to hear that you came across so many errors at the show.
            >
            > I couldn't make it to Chicago this year, but I hope to find most of the same cast of characters (and errors?) at the Whitman Philadelphia show next month (2 hours away instead of 10).
            >
            > Gee, when you described the mated pair you bought from Jon, I almost fell over trying to imagine what it looked like....Could you be kind enough to post some pix for me (us)? It sounds like a real wowser, as Len would say.
            >
            > Glad you enjoyed the show.

          • jylitalo
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21 7:37 PM
              The two coins Mike refers to are absolutely extraordinary. It was quite a sight to see both pairs in Chicago after he acquired them from Jon Sullivan and Mike brought them over to the CONECA table so we could study them together! ...(Not to mention my absolute joy in meeting Mike Diamond for the first time after nearly 10 years of back and forth communication!)

              Eagerly do I look forward to your write-up Champ!

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22 7:02 AM
                It was a pleasure to meet up with you as well, Jeff. Besides Jeff, other hobby luminaries included Ken Potter, Al Raddi, Mike Howard (CONECA's treasurer), and Mark Lighterman. The club table was pleasantly busy. I only spent about 2 hours at the CONECA table as I had a lot to see in my two days at the show.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jylitalo <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > The two coins Mike refers to are absolutely extraordinary. It was quite
                > a sight to see both pairs in Chicago after he acquired them from Jon
                > Sullivan and Mike brought them over to the CONECA table so we could
                > study them together! ...(Not to mention my absolute joy in meeting Mike
                > Diamond for the first time after nearly 10 years of back and forth
                > communication!)
                > Eagerly do I look forward to your write-up Champ!
                > Jeff
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I'll post photos after my article comes out in Coin World. Since
                > they're nice enough to employ me as a columnist, the least I can do is
                > give them the scoop. I will say that my description of the sequence of
                > events is likely to leave behind half my readers. But that can't be
                > helped. You can't do an end-run around a complex reality.
                > >
                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
                > numismistake@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Mike...glad to hear that you came across so many errors at the
                > show.
                > > >
                > > > I couldn't make it to Chicago this year, but I hope to find most of
                > the same cast of characters (and errors?) at the Whitman Philadelphia
                > show next month (2 hours away instead of 10).
                > > >
                > > > Gee, when you described the mated pair you bought from Jon, I almost
                > fell over trying to imagine what it looked like....Could you be kind
                > enough to post some pix for me (us)? It sounds like a real wowser, as
                > Len would say.
                > > >
                > > > Glad you enjoyed the show.

              • Marc
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22 10:10 AM
                  I'll gladly & eagerly wait for your CW article on the pair. It's just the 'hobby' in me that can't.

                  If it took YOU 5 hours to sequence the events that led to this error, well...I'll guess just have to wait...