Interesting Double Struck 1795 Half Cent.

  • matt_dinger1793
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
      So here is a neat one. I wanted to run my hypothesis by you guys and see what you thought.

      My hypothesis is that this coin was originally struck off center and then discarded and then when planchets ran short it was reused in the striking of this coin normally. Mike (Conder101) has identified the normal striking as a C-6 but the original off center strike is a C-2.

      I'm thinking this is the dare double strike that was struck off center first and then struck normally.

      Thoughts?
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
        Due to heavy wear, I can't tell if it was the first strike that was off-center or the second. In either case, it looks like the off-center strike was uniface strike, since no extra elements appear on the obverse.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "matt_dinger1793" <matt@...> wrote:

        > So here is a neat one. I wanted to run my hypothesis by you guys and see what you thought.
        >
        > My hypothesis is that this coin was originally struck off center and then discarded and then when planchets ran short it was reused in the striking of this coin normally. Mike (Conder101) has identified the normal striking as a C-6 but the original off center strike is a C-2.
        >
        > I'm thinking this is the dare double strike that was struck off center first and then struck normally.
        >
        > Thoughts?

      • matt_dinger1793
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
          It is hard to see in the pictures....I uploaded bigger ones but it seems to resize them. I can email you if interested in the bigger ones. The "O" in OF of the off center strike looks to be flattened by a second strike and a leaf from the off center strike appears to be flattened between the "C A" of the normal strike.

          Just my observations.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
            You can send me additional photos. You have my e-mail address. -- Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
              Based on the photos you sent me, I now agree with you that the off-center strike came first. I've seen quite a few early U.S. copper coins with odd double-strikes in which the double image is restricted to one face. Chris Pilliod believes that the mistruck coins were intentionally placed back into the press after being detected. Since no collar was used, it didn't matter that the initial off-center strike created a disc that was out-of-round and wider than normal.