Re: Massive MD or Something Else? 1956 Proof Half

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
      It's a rather severe case of machine doubling. Machine doubling is caused by the die shifting immediately after the completion of the downstroke. Here we're dealing with the more common form of machine doubling that Alan Herbert designated "push doubling". It looks like the anvil die recoiled on impact and then returned to settle lightly on the coin in a slightly different position. This produced marginal shelving in the affected design elements.