Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Shield Nickel Question

  • Rev Paul Bulgerin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2013
      I just picked it up on eBay.

      Paul Bulgerin

      From: Howard Spindel <howard@...>
      To: errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Shield Nickel Question

      I remember seeing this coin, probably on eBay.

      My opinion from the photos is that this coin came in contact with something corrosive.

      Howard

      At 07:51 PM 7/20/2013, Rev Paul Bulgerin wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Rev Paul Bulgerin included below]

      I just purchased this 1868 Shield Nickel.  It is high grade and deeply toned, but has one spot on the obverse and two on the reverse where the surfaces are bright and rough.  I'm looking on opinions on what happened to this coin.  Is is a defective planchet, a coin with corrosion, damaged in some way . . . or???  There are minor encrustations on both sides.

      Thanks for any help!

      Paul Bulgerin