Curious brockage

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2013
      I'm confident that this unexpanded, but very incomplete brockage is genuine:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/281134848129

      The seller reports that the weight is normal and both sides have the same color.

      My best guess is that this is an in-collar, first-strike brockage from a coin that was struck on a split plancht. The plane of separation must have left a planchet of very uneven thickness so that only the top of the obverse design struck up. I came in second in the bidding. I couldn't see spending any more for such an incomplete brockage.
    • Marc
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2013
        I didn't know what to make of this coin, but the damage at K2 & K8 made me think it was in a vise...so I also put up a meager bid that never showed. I didn't want to get burned but I also thought it would have been too difficult to fake.

        I agree with your assessment of the error. I never would have thought of a strike thru split planchet though. Instead, I was looking for a capped die reason for it but no scenario I could think of fits. Good eye & diagnosis.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2013
          I've seen a number of other brockages of this type (in-collar, with obverse design on reverse face) in which the brockage-maker was a cent struck on a split or rolled-thin planchet. It would appear that an abnormally thin coin has an easier time of evading the ejection finger than a full-thickness coin.