1996 LMC Bi-Level Die Crack?

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
      I found this 1996 Cent that had a interesting series of die cracks. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the metal to the west of the crack on the forehead was slightly higher than the east side. The first thing that popped in my head was what to look for in a retained cud. The cracks are not in the correct location for cuds so I checked error-ref.com. The best description I could find of my coin is a "Bi-Level Die Crack". Could this possibly be one? If so, I have another one checked off on the daunting error checklist. The pics are in an album called "1996 LMC Bi-Level Die Crack?". Thanks guys!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
        Yes, this is a bi-level (stepped) die crack. They're less common than conventional die cracks, which are characterized by lateral spread. Lincoln's head is a common site for the development of bi-level die cracks, especially among cents from the mid- to late-1950s. These are the so-called "cracked skull" cents.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
          Thanks Mike. That is one more checked off. I only need 2 or 3 hundred more errors to have them all! Just kidding. That is a massive list you put together. Thanks again

          Jay