Re: Can anyone help me identify this odd looking nickel?

  • jdr_mcb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Travis" <travisbolton543@...> wrote:

      > It was designed by Frans Karel Hejda and submitted around 1938 in a design competition for the nickel but was rejected. The token is a more recently made private strike. My understanding is that someone bought the original galvanos and used them to make dies that were then used to strike your token, presumably in a limited quantity.

      Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys!!! I was able to research it more once Travis was able to give me a name to work with. Apparently a few of the original 390 plaster galvanos that were submitted to the mint for the contest to redesign the Buffalo Nickel in 1938 have been discovered intact and sold in various auctions over the years. From what I have gathered, the design of the pattern nickel I have in my collection was designed by Frans Karel Hejda and submitted to the mint for consideration in April of 1938. As most of you know, the winning design for what we know as the Jefferson Nickel, was submitted by Felix Schlag. Despite public outcry and protest concerning the decision made by tmint officials ,the Schlag galvanos were reportedly "revised" numerous times by the mint before they were reduced to working dies and production of the Jefferson Nickel began in late 1938. The plaster galvanos for the Fran's Karel Hejda Pattern Design were sold to an unknown individual at a Coin Galleries sale some 25 years ago (around 1988), who then had working dies made from them. From which, approx. 1938 coins were minted (actual mintage unknown) in .925 Sterling, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the infamous Nickel Design Contest of 1938 and then, both the plaster galvanos AND the working dies were destroyed to preserve the limited mintage!!! I have only found one documented example of this coin for sale online.

      CLICK HERE--->http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=267&lotNo=8420

      I would be VERY interested if anyone has one in their collection or knows of any that still exist!!!
      Any additional information about this unofficial pattern nickel would also be greatly appreciated!!!

      THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!