Article on retained cuds of the hammer die now online

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/viewarticle/mechanism-reality-of-retained-cuds-questioned

      The upshot of this analysis is that the vast majority of alleged retained cuds of the hammer die are nothing of the sort. I'm not entirely sure that any actually exist, although I do hold out the possibility for some extreme cases.

      Commments and critiques are welcome.

      In the next issue I trash the concept of "abrasion doubling".

      It's always useful to clear out theoretical clutter that hampers understanding of minting errors and the minting process.