RE: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: 1983 p Washington Quarter struck on an amusement token

  • Steve Mills
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013

      I’ll never understand that. Personally, I don’t even consider it an error.

      Admittedly, it isn’t always possible to absolutely determine if an error was “assisted”. In this case, it couldn’t have been more obvious if it was struck on a Chevy hubcap.

      To each his own……….

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
        Steve, I think the NSA intercepted your post and inadvertently inserted some cryptic code. :)

        I used to think my 1964-D nickel struck on a cancelled 1941 India 1/4 rupee was also an intentional error, until the weight of accumulated evidence indicated otherwise:

        http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/canceled-coins-can-sometimes-return-to-the-co

        But in the case of this quarter-over-token, there is no countervailing evidence to suggest it's anything other than an act of mischief.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <millsteven@...> wrote:

        > I’ll never understand that. Personally, I don’t even consider it an error.
        >

        > Admittedly, it isn’t always possible to absolutely determine if an error was “assisted”. In this case, it couldn’t have been more obvious if it was struck on a Chevy hubcap.
        >

        > To each his own……….

      • mrlindy2000
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
          According to locals in coin clubs, I've been told back in 1964 Denver Mint pretty much had an open back door. Alot of cool stuff got out.
          There are some pretty epic errors dated 1964D.
          Fun stuff that most likely was intentionally struck. Like the many stacked & brockaged 50c sets that were multi struck to a diameter larger than silver dollars. All flawless inspite of being super sized.

          Lindy

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
            That may be true, but the same kind of US-over-cancelled-India overstrike is also known from the Philadelphia Mint and from the same year. A cross-country conspiracy to produce identical errors is unlikely, in my opinion.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
              Neat ! I didn't realize both Mints made these in 64.

              Do these Phillies have mint mark area present ???

              I like these, I don't own one.

              How many different USA 5c overstruck India Cancel coins have you noticed ?
              For the right price I'd buy one. I know there is wide variance in price when offered up for sale.

              I don't have an overstuck cancelled coin hole filler by USA or anyone else. Fun stuff!!!
              You own some exotic & thought provoking errors Mike.

              Lindy

              > That may be true, but the same kind of US-over-cancelled-India overstrike is also known from the Philadelphia Mint and from the same year. A cross-country conspiracy to produce identical errors is unlikely, in my opinion.
              >
              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@> wrote:
              > >
              > > According to locals in coin clubs, I've been told back in 1964 Denver Mint pretty much had an open back door. Alot of cool stuff got out.
              > > There are some pretty epic errors dated 1964D.
              > > Fun stuff that most likely was intentionally struck. Like the many stacked & brockaged 50c sets that were multi struck to a diameter larger than silver dollars. All flawless inspite of being super sized.
              > >
              > > Lindy
              > >
              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Steve, I think the NSA intercepted your post and inadvertently inserted some cryptic code. :)
              > > >
              > > > I used to think my 1964-D nickel struck on a cancelled 1941 India 1/4 rupee was also an intentional error, until the weight of accumulated evidence indicated otherwise:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/canceled-coins-can-sometimes-return-to-the-co
              > > >
              > > > But in the case of this quarter-over-token, there is no countervailing evidence to suggest it's anything other than an act of mischief.

            • fred_weinberg
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
                Lindy,

                Don't forget that there are lots of Counterfeit
                1964 Silver Erors - dramatic, large, but N.G.

                They have a differnt look as a silver coin, and the
                surfaces are many times semi-p.l. Be Careful !

                Fred

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
                  Alan Herbert, in the 5th edition of his "Official Price Guide" published a photo of a 1964 cent struck over a 1/4 rupee from the 1940s. It doesn't appear that any diamond-shaped indentation occupies the area normally occupied by a mintmark, so it would appear that this cent was struck in Philadelphia.

                  Mike Byers mentioned the existence of perhaps three more examples (mint uncertain), but I've had no independent corroboration of his claim.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
                    As I mentioned in my column, it's not only the occurrence of these errors in two different mints. It's also the odd choice of a cancelled coin as a host coin. These coins would also be hard to acquire since they were crushed between dedicated cancellation dies, presumably in India. I don't see very many of these cancelled Indian coins, pointing to an overall scarcity in the marketplace.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 17, 2013
                      I wonder if they were cancelled in GB instead of India ?

                      Anytime I see British Royal(s) depicted on their commenwealth coins I usually assume they are the minter. Did GB mint these at their GB mint in India or in GB to ship to India ?

                      Or did they/ UK mint them where ever & then later cancel them in
                      India due to ??? Did they make these in GB for India or did they oversee minting coins & later cancelling coins in India ?
                      I know USA had a USA Mint in Philippines "M" but also struck coins for
                      Philippines in USA too without mintmarks thru mid 70's.
                      They were a USA Commenweatlth country.

                      I dabble in foriegn errors due to more favorable admission price & broader selections of error possibilities.
                      For me GB/UK mintage data for their many other commenweath type countries is scarce.
                      I guess if I lived in GB/UK I'd have a better clue, maybe. There might
                      be a better word than commenwealth here ?

                      Your 1941 USA Cent in article with vise marks looks altered to me. My 60's era
                      vise my Dad bought new way back when has similar pattern. Is this your only
                      Philly Mint example of this type of diamond pattern cancelled die from 64P ?

                      I agree with Fred, 1964 P is notorious for fakes, Lonesome John wrote a book orI think
                      a series of books dedicated to counterfeit die struck USA errors. A picture filled
                      book I got auto'd by LJ way back when it was current in 78 or 79.

                      Still I like the diamond pattern cancelled India coins restruck overstruck by
                      USA 5c dies in 64 at "Denver" regardless of "their open back door in 64".
                      The Phillies like this would give me pause due to plethora of
                      fake die struck 64P errors. It is interesting both US Mints may have overstuck these India cancelled die strikes. I think USA Mint still smelted metal used for coins back
                      then in 1964, so I can see why silver scrap foreign coins would exist is USA Mints back then.

                      These cancelled India coins always look mint state to me, well seeing the few images that pop up now & them. Its like they got struck and then cancelled, & never issued/released it seems.

                      So...

                      When did Gandhi rise up against GB ???

                      When did Royal images drop from India coinage? I guess I could look it all up
                      but I'm off to sweet dreamy~land instead.
                      Good Nite.

                      Lindy

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 18, 2013
                        These coins were minted in India. I would guess they were also cancelled there many years later as it would make no sense to ship them to England for this purpose. Likewise, I'm unaware of the U.S. Mint fabricating cancellation dies of various sizes in the early 1960s.

                        The 1941 cent in my article was crushed, probably in a vise with studded surfaces. Although the diamond-shaped pattern is similar to the ones seen on the cancelled one rupee and fractional rupee coins, the key difference is that the diamond-shaped indentations never affect the rim in the latter.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 19, 2013
                          I checked Krause World Coins.

                          I see these 1940's era 1/4 Rupee were struck at Bombay & Calcutta.

                          Over the years I've seen these cancelled die examples sell for $90-$100 in open auctions Mike, would you or have you paid that for an example ?

                          Lindy

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 19, 2013
                            Yeah, I've seen one or two cancelled Indian coins sell at that level. I have no idea what's up with that. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a ruined coin. I might spring for $15 to acquire a comparison specimen but that's it.

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                            > I checked Krause World Coins.
                            >
                            > I see these 1940's era 1/4 Rupee were struck at Bombay & Calcutta.
                            >
                            > Over the years I've seen these cancelled die examples sell for $90-$100 in open auctions Mike, would you or have you paid that for an example ?
                            >
                            > Lindy
                          • mrlindy2000
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 19, 2013
                              I meant to say I've seen the cancelled 1/4 Rupee ebay for $50-100.

                              At $15, still 3 to 4 times the money that a shinny new 1/4 Rupee goes for.

                              I'll assume a specialist of England Colony of India coins would know the story behind these UK/India canceled coins. They always look new, like they were never issued & recalled for destruction. Being silver makes them a commodity, worth salvaging the silver scrap to use again another day.

                              Lindy

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 19, 2013
                                I've never been able to get any useful background information on these cancelled Indian coins. I once posted an inquiry on a website for collectors of Indian coins and never got a reply.

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                                > I meant to say I've seen the cancelled 1/4 Rupee ebay for $50-100.
                                >
                                > At $15, still 3 to 4 times the money that a shinny new 1/4 Rupee goes for.
                                >
                                > I'll assume a specialist of England Colony of India coins would know the story behind these UK/India canceled coins. They always look new, like they were never issued & recalled for destruction. Being silver makes them a commodity, worth salvaging the silver scrap to use again another day.
                                >
                                > Lindy

                                > > Yeah, I've seen one or two cancelled Indian coins sell at that level. I have no idea what's up with that. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a ruined coin. I might spring for $15 to acquire a comparison specimen but that's it.
                                > >
                                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I checked Krause World Coins.
                                > > >
                                > > > I see these 1940's era 1/4 Rupee were struck at Bombay & Calcutta.
                                > > >
                                > > > Over the years I've seen these cancelled die examples sell for $90-$100 in open auctions Mike, would you or have you paid that for an example ?
                                > > >
                                > > > Lindy

                              • mrlindy2000
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  I think you need to appeal to collectors of British Colonized Coins, maybe residing in UK/GB.

                                  An example of this for me collectors of USA struck Phillipines, when they were connected to US and USA struck for Panama coins.

                                  Regardless, owning a USA 5c 1964D on a cancelled India/GB related coin is very appealing error to me. A fine score, good for you!

                                  I own nothing like it, not even by the closed Gallery Mint with their discontinued USA reproduction dies.
                                  Had I thought of it, well, then I'd have one or two.

                                  ;^)