Re: 1986-D Dime possible Rockwell test mark?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
      A Rockwell hardness tester can be used on dies or planchets. When used on a die, a Rockwell test mark will appear as a pyramidal or dome-shaped bump. When used on a planchet, a Rockwell testmark will appear as a pyramidal or hemispherical pit.

      Here we have a pit, but it's unlikely to be a Rockwell test mark because of its gently sloping sides. A Rockwell test mark will have sharply-defined borders.

      When you really get down to it, it's almost impossible to distinguish a Rockwell test mark on planchets from circular or semi-circular struck-through errors.

      The only verified Rockwell test marks on planchets come from cents minted in San Francisco in the early 1970s. I'm not aware of any verified examples in U.S.dies.