1931 Lincoln Cent

  • Rev Paul Bulgerin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6 8:20 PM
    I have this BU 1931 Lincoln with weakness on Lincoln's head and on the reverse.  There are also light marks on the bust.  Was this coin struck through grease?  I'm looking for help determining what caused this.  A photo of the coin is attached.

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul Bulgerin
    bulgerin@...
    Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6 9:19 PM
      Struck through grease would be the most likely explanation.

      Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6 9:21 PM
        One should always consider alternative working hypotheses, of course.

        http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/centralized-bifacial-design-weakness-can-have

        > Struck through grease would be the most likely explanation.
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rev Paul Bulgerin <bulgerin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have this BU 1931 Lincoln with weakness on Lincoln's head and on the reverse.  There are also light marks on the bust.  Was this coin struck through grease?  I'm looking for help determining what caused this.  A photo of the coin is attached.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > > Paul Bulgerin
        > > bulgerin@

      • stevenamills
        Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7 9:25 AM
          Mike,

          Just curious. Would you still refer to the dime in the article as a "split die"?

          > One should always consider alternative working hypotheses, of course.
          >
          > http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/centralized-bifacial-design-weakness-can-have

          > > Struck through grease would be the most likely explanation.
          > >
          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rev Paul Bulgerin <bulgerin@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have this BU 1931 Lincoln with weakness on Lincoln's head and on the reverse.  There are also light marks on the bust.  Was this coin struck through grease?  I'm looking for help determining what caused this.  A photo of the coin is attached.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance,
          > > >
          > > > Paul Bulgerin
          > > > bulgerin@

        • Rev Paul Bulgerin
          Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7 10:44 AM
            Mike,

            Thank you for your response and the article you also posted.  Would being struck through grease also account for the obverse marks, or is that from something else?

            Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7 1:58 PM
              Currently I don't see enough evidence to draw a firm conclusion. The presumptive split disappears into that extensive zone of subsidence. The lower half of the "split" does appear to be pinching off, which may lend weight to the idea that it's a radial die crack with no connection with the upper limb of the "split".

              Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7 2:01 PM
                I don't know what marks you're referring to. Please decribe their appearance and precise location.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rev Paul Bulgerin <bulgerin@...> wrote:

                > Mike,
                >
                > Thank you for your response and the article you also posted.  Would being struck through grease also account for the obverse marks, or is that from something else?
                >
                > Paul Bulgerin
                > bulgerin@...

              • Rev Paul Bulgerin
                Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7 2:10 PM
                  I'll have to take a better photo of the coin so you can see what I'm talking about.  I'll try to get one taken tonight or tomorrow and then post it.

                  Paul Bulgerin