[Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Split die with fat letters

  • mrlindy2000
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
      Fred still has 74/73 5c in mint set

      http://www.fredweinberg.com/inventory/item.php?ID=6421

      "1974 Jefferson Nickel NGC Certified $9500.00
      1974 Jefferson Nickel NGC Certified in Mint Set Unique~100 Greatest U.S. Error Coins #98. This 1974 Jeff. 5¢, still in original sealed Mint set has been Struck over a 1973 Jefferson Nickel. Lots of detail of both dates show. Unique as it is still in the original Mint set. 2010 value in "100 Greatest U. S. Error Coin" book is $15,000-$17,500."

      If I recall correctly this one sold at David Lawernce for $3500 and then resold a couple more times since. That was back when DL was liquidating the error coin retirement account from... State of Ohio was it?

      Lindy

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

      > I look foward to your new website. I enjoyed your many cool errors and nice images. Maybe I'll get inspired to show & tell a few goodies too ?
      >
      > I'd say Fred W knows alot about dual different date strikes. I don't think I have any from US Mint. Maybe something from Malaysia. I'd guess $1700 for a US example is a screaming deal! Did you win high bid on it ?
      >
      > I'm glad the Panama 2&1/2c Roosevelt Dime strike still makes you happy. I used those funds and some more to get a 10c on Philippines aluminum planchet. I think everyone in the error hobby has an aluminum off metal Roosevelt Dime and I wanted one too.
      >
      > Lindy
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <millsteven@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lindy,
      > >

      > > It's really great to see you wandering the halls of ECIE recently. I'm sure
      > > I'm not the only one that enjoys not only your perspective, but also your
      > > tremendous recall and records for errors over the years. Just the other day
      > > I was looking at the 1975 dime struck on a Panamanian 2 ½ cent planchet that
      > > I got from you several years ago. It's a nice coin.
      > >

      > > Interesting that you should mention my old website. I've been thinking of
      > > reviving it. I was always proud of that and thought it gave people a chance
      > > to see examples of coins that aren't readily available. Some time ago I had
      > > to take that server down, but, of course, I saved all of the pictures and
      > > other information from the site. That server was built using Microsoft
      > > software and I just need to take the time to convert it to an Apache server.
      > > It really wouldn't take that much, I just need to get off my butt and do it!
      > > Thanks for asking.
      > >

      > > Steve
      > >

      > > Oh, you would be a good person to ask. Do you think coins with two different
      > > years are as rare as the market might suggest? I'm not talking about the
      > > periodic old coin thrown into the hopper, but a coin struck twice with the
      > > dies from two consecutive years. The last time I can recall seeing one on
      > > the market was from that collection that David Lawrence sold several years
      > > ago. The off metal version appears to be rather common in comparison. A
      > > pretty nice example of a cent on dime with two different years recently sold
      > > in a heritage auction for about $1700. That's about half of what it sold for
      > > previously.

    • mrlindy2000
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
        Wow, I'd have thought you had at least one aluminum off metal Rob. I've got 2 US & 1 Canadian

        ;^)

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, rjrisi@... wrote:

        > I don't own any aluminum off metals but I'd love to get one. Just the fact it's such a light weight metal is cool
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Jun 4, 2013, at 6:56 PM, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I look foward to your new website. I enjoyed your many cool errors and nice images. Maybe I'll get inspired to show & tell a few goodies too ?
        > >
        > > I'd say Fred W knows alot about dual different date strikes. I don't think I have any from US Mint. Maybe something from Malaysia. I'd guess $1700 for a US example is a screaming deal! Did you win high bid on it ?
        > >
        > > I'm glad the Panama 2&1/2c Roosevelt Dime strike still makes you happy. I used those funds and some more to get a 10c on Philippines aluminum planchet. I think everyone in the error hobby has an aluminum off metal Roosevelt Dime and I wanted one too.
        > >
        > > Lindy
        > >
        > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <millsteven@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Lindy,
        > > >

        > > > It's really great to see you wandering the halls of ECIE recently. I'm sure
        > > > I'm not the only one that enjoys not only your perspective, but also your
        > > > tremendous recall and records for errors over the years. Just the other day
        > > > I was looking at the 1975 dime struck on a Panamanian 2 ½ cent planchet that
        > > > I got from you several years ago. It's a nice coin.
        > > >

        > > > Interesting that you should mention my old website. I've been thinking of
        > > > reviving it. I was always proud of that and thought it gave people a chance
        > > > to see examples of coins that aren't readily available. Some time ago I had
        > > > to take that server down, but, of course, I saved all of the pictures and
        > > > other information from the site. That server was built using Microsoft
        > > > software and I just need to take the time to convert it to an Apache server.
        > > > It really wouldn't take that much, I just need to get off my butt and do it!
        > > > Thanks for asking.
        > > >

        > > > Steve
        > > >

        > > > Oh, you would be a good person to ask. Do you think coins with two different
        > > > years are as rare as the market might suggest? I'm not talking about the
        > > > periodic old coin thrown into the hopper, but a coin struck twice with the
        > > > dies from two consecutive years. The last time I can recall seeing one on
        > > > the market was from that collection that David Lawrence sold several years
        > > > ago. The off metal version appears to be rather common in comparison. A
        > > > pretty nice example of a cent on dime with two different years recently sold
        > > > in a heritage auction for about $1700. That's about half of what it sold for
        > > > previously.

      • jylitalo
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
          I remember that scandal. I bought a bunch of nice errors from DL when they had them in their inventory as late as 2007 (some of them incorrectly diagnosed).

          Here is a link about the scandal if anyone is interested.

        • jylitalo
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
            I've got a couple that are foreign as well. From GB, one of them is a 50 pence struck on a 12 pointed scalloped aluminum planchet. The pictures are rough looking but it's a nice coin. I uploaded that one in the off-metals album here on ECIE back in 2007...It's still there.

            The other one is a 5 pence struck on an aluminum planchet. Hey, at least I got some examples and they certainly didn't bark for a price of 15K!

          • rjrisi
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
              Nope

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 4, 2013, at 7:13 PM, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

              Wow, I'd have thought you had at least one aluminum off metal Rob. I've got 2 US & 1 Canadian

              ;^)

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, rjrisi@... wrote:

              > I don't own any aluminum off metals but I'd love to get one. Just the fact it's such a light weight metal is cool
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Jun 4, 2013, at 6:56 PM, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I look foward to your new website. I enjoyed your many cool errors and nice images. Maybe I'll get inspired to show & tell a few goodies too ?
              > >
              > > I'd say Fred W knows alot about dual different date strikes. I don't think I have any from US Mint. Maybe something from Malaysia. I'd guess $1700 for a US example is a screaming deal! Did you win high bid on it ?
              > >
              > > I'm glad the Panama 2&1/2c Roosevelt Dime strike still makes you happy. I used those funds and some more to get a 10c on Philippines aluminum planchet. I think everyone in the error hobby has an aluminum off metal Roosevelt Dime and I wanted one too.
              > >
              > > Lindy
              > >
              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <millsteven@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Lindy,
              > > >

              > > > It's really great to see you wandering the halls of ECIE recently. I'm sure
              > > > I'm not the only one that enjoys not only your perspective, but also your
              > > > tremendous recall and records for errors over the years. Just the other day
              > > > I was looking at the 1975 dime struck on a Panamanian 2 ½ cent planchet that
              > > > I got from you several years ago. It's a nice coin.
              > > >

              > > > Interesting that you should mention my old website. I've been thinking of
              > > > reviving it. I was always proud of that and thought it gave people a chance
              > > > to see examples of coins that aren't readily available. Some time ago I had
              > > > to take that server down, but, of course, I saved all of the pictures and
              > > > other information from the site. That server was built using Microsoft
              > > > software and I just need to take the time to convert it to an Apache server.
              > > > It really wouldn't take that much, I just need to get off my butt and do it!
              > > > Thanks for asking.
              > > >

              > > > Steve
              > > >

              > > > Oh, you would be a good person to ask. Do you think coins with two different
              > > > years are as rare as the market might suggest? I'm not talking about the
              > > > periodic old coin thrown into the hopper, but a coin struck twice with the
              > > > dies from two consecutive years. The last time I can recall seeing one on
              > > > the market was from that collection that David Lawrence sold several years
              > > > ago. The off metal version appears to be rather common in comparison. A
              > > > pretty nice example of a cent on dime with two different years recently sold
              > > > in a heritage auction for about $1700. That's about half of what it sold for
              > > > previously.

            • mrlindy2000
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                I forgot I have UK Penny on scallop aluminum Belize Cent planchet.
                I think thats what it is.
                I'll have to dig it up& confirm it's a GB "Penny" struck on "Cent" planchet.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jylitalo <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I've got a couple that are foreign as well. From GB, one of them is a 50 pence struck on a 12 pointed scalloped aluminum planchet. The pictures are rough looking but it's a nice coin. I uploaded that one in the off-metals album here on ECIE back in 2007...It's still there.
                >
                > The other one is a 5 pence struck on an aluminum planchet. Hey, at least I got some examples and they certainly didn't bark for a price of 15K!
                >
                > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Wow, I'd have thought you had at least one aluminum off metal Rob. I've got 2 US & 1 Canadian
                > >
                > > ;^)
                > >
                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, rjrisi@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I don't own any aluminum off metals but I'd love to get one. Just the fact it's such a light weight metal is cool
                > > >
                > > > Sent from my iPhone

              • Steven Mills
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                  Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about the scandal. I will say though that after living in Illinois for the past 25 years that "crime" would barely make the police blotter in the back of the paper.

                  DL let their dealer buddies cherry pick the list first, but there were some nice coins left. I got one of my favorite coins there - an assay clip nickel. The only time I ever had a chance to add one to my collection. Grossly overpaid for it if I recall.

                  Sent from my iPad, so please excuse the inevitable glitches.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                    That ought to put the pressure on to finish it.

                    The $1700 was for a cent on dime dual date. The one in my collection was a total dog. Only the guy fro NGC could see the date on the dime. One of my worst purchases ever. I didn't plan to buy
                    this one, but it was too cheap to pass up. Actually, I threw a low bid and didn't expect it to hold, then I had to scramble to find the money!

                    Ironic about the off metal dime. I bought yours because my off metal dime was AU, but it was aluminum. I wanted a nice BU example.

                    On Jun 4, 2013, at 5:56 PM, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                    I look foward to your new website. I enjoyed your many cool errors and nice images. Maybe I'll get inspired to show & tell a few goodies too ?

                    I'd say Fred W knows alot about dual different date strikes. I don't think I have any from US Mint. Maybe something from Malaysia. I'd guess $1700 for a US example is a screaming deal! Did you win high bid on it ?

                    I'm glad the Panama 2&1/2c Roosevelt Dime strike still makes you happy. I used those funds and some more to get a 10c on Philippines aluminum planchet. I think everyone in the error hobby has an aluminum off metal Roosevelt Dime and I wanted one too.

                    Lindy

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <millsteven@...> wrote:

                    > Lindy,
                    >

                    > It's really great to see you wandering the halls of  ECIE recently. I'm sure
                    > I'm not the only one that enjoys not only your perspective, but also your
                    > tremendous recall and records for errors over the years. Just the other day
                    > I was looking at the 1975 dime struck on a Panamanian 2 ½ cent planchet that
                    > I got from you several years ago. It's a nice coin.
                    >

                    > Interesting that you should mention my old website. I've been thinking of
                    > reviving it. I was always proud of that and thought it gave people a chance
                    > to see examples of coins that aren't readily available. Some time ago I had
                    > to take that server down, but, of course, I saved all of the pictures and
                    > other information from the site. That server was built using Microsoft
                    > software and I just need to take the time to convert it to an Apache server.
                    > It really wouldn't take that much, I just need to get off my butt and do it!
                    > Thanks for asking.
                    >

                    > Steve
                    >

                    > Oh, you would be a good person to ask. Do you think coins with two different
                    > years are as rare as the market might suggest? I'm not talking about the
                    > periodic old coin thrown into the hopper, but a coin struck twice with the
                    > dies from two consecutive years. The last time I can recall seeing one on
                    > the market was from that collection that David Lawrence sold several years
                    > ago. The off metal version appears to be rather common in comparison. A
                    > pretty nice example of a cent on dime with two different years recently sold
                    > in a heritage auction for about $1700. That's about half of what it sold for
                    > previously.

                  • Steven Mills
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                      What a great coin. Out of my price range for sure. I wonder what the sealed mint aspect adds to it?

                      On Jun 4, 2013, at 6:08 PM, "mrlindy2000" <adkinstone@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      > > software and I just need to take the time to convert it to an Apache server.
                      > > It really wouldn't take that much, I just need to get off my butt and do it!
                      > > Thanks for asking.
                      > >

                      > > Steve
                      > >

                      > > Oh, you would be a good person to ask. Do you think coins with two different
                      > > years are as rare as the market might suggest? I'm not talking about the
                      > > periodic old coin thrown into the hopper, but a coin struck twice with the
                      > > dies from two consecutive years. The last time I can recall seeing one on
                      > > the market was from that collection that David Lawrence sold several years
                      > > ago. The off metal version appears to be rather common in comparison. A
                      > > pretty nice example of a cent on dime with two different years recently sold
                      > > in a heritage auction for about $1700. That's about half of what it sold for

                    • jylitalo
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                        That is great :)

                        I forgot I have a couple of others as well. I'll have to dig em' all out and do an article in a future issue of Errorscope...If you find yours and get some good images I'd be happy to include it!

                      • jylitalo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4, 2013
                          Oh boy, that sounds bad.

                          Going back and reading the chronological details of this Ohio debacle is enough to make a person puke...well...it's a good thing to remember what can happen...at least I think so...

                          I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with error coins having an in-famous history!