U.S. Error Coin Weak Strike Dime

  • rjrisi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
      Picked this so called very weak strike dime up and received it today and it shows Roosevelt's profile well enough but literally blank on reverse and has about 25% of the reeding on rim present. This seller has had about a dozen of these dimes over the last year and I think they are cool. However is a weak strike the proper description for this error type or potentially a DAS ???
      End time: May 30, 2013 10:36:36 PM EDT

      View item:
      U.S. Error Coin Weak Strike Dime

      Sent from my iPhone
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
        It's a weak strike in combination with a stiff collar error. See this link:

        http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/unexpected-source-of-reeding-revealed-by-weak

        There's never any justification for calling a weakly-struck coin a "die adjustment strike", no matter how weak the strike. In order to call a coin a die adjustment strike, you would actually have to have been present at its striking.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, rjrisi@... wrote:

        > Picked this so called very weak strike dime up and received it today and it shows Roosevelt's profile well enough but literally blank on reverse and has about 25% of the reeding on rim present. This seller has had about a dozen of these dimes over the last year and I think they are cool. However is a weak strike the proper description for this error type or potentially a DAS ???
        > End time: May 30, 2013 10:36:36 PM EDT
        >

        > View item:
        > U.S. Error Coin Weak Strike Dime
        >

        > Sent from my iPhone

      • Steve Mills
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013

          I picked up one of these, also, several weeks ago. I honestly didn't see the reeding. Actually, I would preferred that it didn't have it. My preference is always for a single error on a coin. Not always possible, unfortunately. I would really like to see a press up close so I could understand the concept of a stiff collar. That whole area of stiff collars, RAM strikes, strike clips etc. I find confusing.

          As a side note, when I see a number of similar coins sold I wonder if the seller has a barrel full. Just like other coins we've seen over the years (e.g. The Euro mule, the Eisenhower off metal or the 1995 Double Die Lincoln) where they are not nearly as rare, especially given the small universe of collectors, as we might suspect.