Re: 1999-P Connecticut Quarter - Possible early stage die attrition error

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2013
      Thanks Mike. That "Coin World" article is the only reason I caught this coin. I wouldn't have even noticed it. For that, I say thank you for all that you do for this hobby. I sent you an email about this coin before I posted. I would like to try to complete as much as I can of your enormous checklist. I would also like to help anyone I can with any coin I can. Do you think Mr. Weinberg would be interested in the coin? Does he frequent this group? I wouldn't have a problem with trading it to whoever has this progression, if it would help them. I would like to have a die attrition error just for the checklist, but I also need a ton of different errors, so as long as I can get a trade for close to equal value I will be very happy. Also, if no trade is possible, I would be willing to sell it if it helps someone complete a set. I just wouldn't begin to know what to sell it for. I'm not one of those people who try to squeeze every cent out of something. I'm not greedy.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
        As far as I can tell, there's not much demand for minor die attrition errors (ones that do not cut off any letters or numbers). For major die attrition errors, the demand might be higher, but I've never seen one of these errors sold with an accurate diagnosis/description. I've also never seen one accurately slabbed (or slabbed at all). I've picked mine up on eBay on the cheap because they're usually labeled as something else or simply "error".

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
          That's quite a task you've set out for yourself. I'm still working on completing the checklist. Some categories will have to remain empty, either due to their rarity, cost, or both.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
            I know I will never get everything. I just want to keep one of everything I find. I know there are some of those I will never find in circulation or rolls. I am 34 years old and had never seen, let's say, a bow tie clip until error-ref.com. I don't think my local gas station cashier is going to hand me one.