unusual broadstrike with odd brockage

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2003
      In the "die caps" album you'll find Matt Lenore's 1998 broadstruck
      quarter with a full brockage reverse. I hesitate to call it a cap,
      since it is so shallow. The modest cupping could easily have been
      created in a single strike.

      Anyway, the reverse shows what appears to be a featureless swelling
      which closely resembles the counterbrockage on the reverse of Bill
      Snyder's Argentina cap. Evidently, the coin that created the
      brockage had a very large indent. Notice as well that the brockage,
      which lies outside the swelling, is quite incomplete. It would seem
      that the coin that created the brockage was abnormal in this area as
      well. The faint brockage could point to a quarter that was weakly
      struck, as well as indented. Or the coin could have been struck
      through a heavy layer of "grease". I would tend to go with a weak
      strike caused by insufficient die approximation, since the
      broadstrike is not as expanded as you'd expect in a situation where
      two coins on top of each other were struck out-of-collar.

      What we can say is that the coin that created the brockage was a
      multi-error. I think this puppy is still for sale, if anyone's
      interested.