Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Real or not? Recent Ebay listing

  • Michael Evanchik
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13 12:31 PM
      the sller hadn't had it certified, because it wasn't necessary and that also does not always mean the coin is genuine-as in your case. the seller wasn't defensive about it, the seller just doesn't have the money to have every coin he owns certified, especially when that money isn't usually fully recouperated.

       by the way-this is the seller that had the questionable flipover triple strike that I inquired about to mike d privately, and was told fred w also suggested to stay away from. but wouldn't even consider the chance that it may not be genuine and sold it anyway to an unsuspecting buyer for $700. then proceeded to accuse every coin certified on ebay to be fakes, and every coin I was selling to be fake.

      regards,mike e

      Thanks for the input, Mike. The "off" things for me weren't offensive...I didn't like the raggedy area of the edge near the secondary strike and the multiple strikes almost looked too well spaced. Couple that with the seller getting defensive when asked why he hadn't had it certified, and this raised some questions for me. THX

    • jhz63
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13 3:12 PM
        So you were the seller of this piece, then? (it says Mike E. in the response to the question on the listing as well) It may not have been "necessary" to slab it but IMO it would likely have netted you more money...there are fake errors coming from overseas sources in large numbers, not to mention some well made homemade errors...these have hurt the market in some areas and have caused buyers to be cautious, especially when it comes to raw stuff on eBay. Glad it worked out for you at any rate.