Odd, complex brockage

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14 2:47 PM
      I've placed at the end of the Brockages album photos of an odd brockage I obtained recently in a BIN purchase.

      As best as I can tell, this is the first impression of a clashed cap strike involving and early-stage uniface die cap. In other words, the smooth working face of the uniface cap collided with the reverse die when a planchet wasn't fed in. Since the floor of the cap was still relatively thick, a fairly complete raised design was left on it after the clash.

      I can see a ghost face of Lincoln looming above the steps of the upside-down Memorial. I think I can also see the back of Lincoln's shoulder. These ghost details would support the idea that this is a clashed cap strike.

      The center of the brockage is especially well struck and this area is flanked by ridges. I suspect that when the clash occurred, a relatively thin piece of metal intruded into the striking chamber between the cap and the reverse die. This piece of metal then stuck to the working face of the die cap and was struck into the next planchet (my coin).

      Let me know if you can come up with a more convincing scenario.
    • oldsubguru