Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Pair of test strikes?

  • oldsubguru
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
      Just an observation, but the 4 digit is different on each of the strikes of the Lincoln cent and the spacing of the digits seems to be slightly off when compared to a normal 1949-S Lincoln cent. Also, the RT of LIBERTY does not look right as well.

      Then I question why an obverse and reverse of the 1949 Roosevelt dime and only the obverse of the 1949 Lincoln cent.

      It maybe real, but I do question the validity of the piece and the reasoning of why it was made.

      In a message dated 4/12/2013 7:56:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, snumismatics@... writes:

      That's a real oddball piece. The strike is very good, and judging from the photo I'd say it has a reasonably good shot of being genuine. I don't recall any 1949-S counterfeits for cents or dimes. Maybe someone else here does….

      Jon

      On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:34 AM, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

      This is a real numismatic oddity:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/140948471221

      Die-struck impressions of a 1949-S dime and a two-headed 1949-S cent struck on a small copper or copper-ally bar.

      I suspect someome was trying out some counterfeit dies, but there's no way to tell from the photos. If the dies were genuine, then the winning bidder got quite a bargain.

    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
        In addition to the differences mentiioned previously,
        I don't like the hair details on either piece,
        especially the Dime.

        It's not from the US Mint, I'm certain.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
          What I noticed was that some of the letters of GOD WE seemed poorly defined. Then again, the size and resolution of the photos were not ideal.

          Since the seller is a coin dealer, I wonder why he didn't try to authenticate the thing.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
            Thanks for your opinion, Fred.

            I vaguely remember seeing this specimen (or one very much like it) many years ago on eBay. I have no way of knowing if the seller was the original purchaser.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
              One thing I've learned over the years is that common-date counterfeits of excellent quality can be found in many years. My recent Coin World article that discussed counterfeit copper dimes and quarters featured a frighteningly well-executed 1966 quarter.

              > Thanks for your opinion, Fred.
              >
              > I vaguely remember seeing this specimen (or one very much like it) many years ago on eBay. I have no way of knowing if the seller was the original purchaser.
              >
              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > In addition to the differences mentiioned previously,
              > > I don't like the hair details on either piece,
              > > especially the Dime.
              > >
              > > It's not from the US Mint, I'm certain.
              > >

              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Just an observation, but the 4 digit is different on each of the strikes of
              > > > the Lincoln cent and the spacing of the digits seems to be slightly off
              > > > when compared to a normal 1949-S Lincoln cent. Also, the RT of LIBERTY does
              > > > not look right as well.
              > > >
              > > > Then I question why an obverse and reverse of the 1949 Roosevelt dime and
              > > > only the obverse of the 1949 Lincoln cent.
              > > >
              > > > It maybe real, but I do question the validity of the piece and the
              > > > reasoning of why it was made.
              > > >

              > > > In a message dated 4/12/2013 7:56:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > > > snumismatics@ writes:
              > > >

              > > > That's a real oddball piece. The strike is very good, and judging from the
              > > > photo I'd say it has a reasonably good shot of being genuine. I don't
              > > > recall any 1949-S counterfeits for cents or dimes. Maybe someone else here does…
              > > > .
              > > >

              > > > Jon
              > > >

              > > > On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:34 AM, Mike Diamond <_mdia1@_
              > > > (mailto:mdia1@) > wrote:
              > > >

              > > > This is a real numismatic oddity:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/140948471221
              > > >
              > > > Die-struck impressions of a 1949-S dime and a two-headed 1949-S cent
              > > > struck on a small copper or copper-ally bar.
              > > >
              > > > I suspect someome was trying out some counterfeit dies, but there's no way
              > > > to tell from the photos. If the dies were genuine, then the winning bidder
              > > > got quite a bargain.

            • wgfulton
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
                I noticed that the cent is a top-bottom flip and the dime is a side-side flip. I agree that this is an intriguing item, but I don't think that my curiosity will absorb 213 dollars worth of satisfaction.