Nickel with partial counterbrockage

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 7:43 AM
      This 2000-P nickel appears to have a partial counterbrockage occupying its northern half:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261191294780

      The head is much too large for the neck it surmounts. And it doesn't look like an indent on a second strike.

      The perfect positioning of the head relative to the neck would indicate that this is a counterbrockage from a partial (off-center) die cap that had on its working face a brockage of Jefferson's head.

      I have a number of partial counterbrockages in my collection so I let this one pass. It got way too expensive anyway and the counterbrockage isn't as clear as I prefer. I generally buy such errors for between $35 and $75. That said, they're usually mislabeled.
    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 6:26 PM
        I saw that auction and didnt even notice that. I saw it was an odd shaped indent. And I collect lincoln cent errors so I dont always look closely at other denominations. But didnt catch that one. Neat piece though, and I dont think it was too bad price wise.