1970 mint set error

  • kempwes@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hello!
      Would you please take a look at this 1970 Lincoln cent in its mint cellophane packaging? I purchased it, on line, in hopes of a small date mark but it ended up being the more common large date. The reason I need your expertise is it is damaged and being it comes directly from the mint the damage must have occurred there at the mint.
      The obverse side has gashes down near the bottom of Lincoln's bust up around his back to his cheek. Another gash runs from the rear of his head going through his head towards his nose, ominously similar to the path of the assassin Booth's bullet. Another gash runs around the rim from near the rear of his bust up to the word "IN" in "in god we trust".
      I imagine there is a term for the kind of damage but in my search I found none. Any help in evaluating the damage and IF this damage enhances the value of this mint set would be greatly appreciated!!
      Many thanks. Wes

      I think I was able to upload 2 pictures to photos using "1970 mint set error" as title.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
        It is post-strike mint damage. Post-strike damage can occur inside or outside the mint. Damage that occurs inside the mint is no more valuable than damage that occurs outside the mint. Short answer is that your coin is without value.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
          Thank you for looking at my mint set! I'll be spending some time looking up PMD on the web. Still very cool and fun to look at. I do feel that being encased in the mint package adds maybe 20% value…perhaps $ 7.00. Happy hunting!!

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
            Again thanks for the viewing and evaluation. I agree the value of the coin is nominal but think of the odds of not only having the PMD of gouging on the obverse but post mint staining (?) on the reverse from the de-greasing/cleaning process too. So much damage at such a young age…poor thing. Please look at the reverse side pictures of the same coin I added to the photo gallery section of "1970 mint set error". My feelings are what are the odds of one side having PMD…one in a thousand? Then the same coin having more PMD of another kind to the other side…one in ten thousand? Then the same coin being put into a mint package…one in 500 thousand? The odds kind of boggle my mind. The funs in the hunt.