Error Civil War Token

  • Rick Irons
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

    New member with a questions.  This looks like a struck over brockage to me.  Any thoughts?   Thanks,  Rick

    Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
      That's what it looks like to me, too. The incuse impression on the face with the C looks like it was there before the strike that generated the raised image.

      However, if that were the case, the opposite face should show a double strike. But there's only one raised image. I suppose it's possible that the first strike had a brockage on one face and an in-collar uniface strike on the opposite face.

      All sorts of wierd things can be found among Civil War tokens.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Irons" wrote:

      > New member with a questions. This looks like a struck over brockage to me.
      > Any thoughts? Thanks, Rick

    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
        very interesting piece-i spoke with rick earlier about this coin and came to a similar conclusion.

        Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
          Another possibility is that the face with the anchor was cushioned by a stiff substrate during the second strike (when the raised design was delivered on the opposite face). I notice that the raised design with the anchor has an uneven topography and wear.

          While the appearance deviates from what one would expect of a full uniface strike delivered in a government coinage press, there's no telling what a uniface second strike produced in non-standard equipment with non-standard material would end up looking like.