U S Mint Aluminum Feeder Fingers

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 5, 2012
      Good mornin' -

      The earliest piece of aluminum, struck by coin dies,
      (not aluminum planchets, for the Philippines, for example)
      on a Feeder Finger that I've handled, is a 1994 Roosevelt
      Dime, and it was bonded on the REV. of the clad coin.

      The Mint has used at least three different types of metals
      for Feeder Fingers in the recent past (10 years or so);
      I have a color photo of three diff. FF'rs in different metals
      from a collector who owns them, as well as numerous coins
      struck on U.S. Mint Feeder Fingers (all are aluminum, as
      far as I know)- the collector has cents thru Dollars.

      Most of these came out of the Phil. Mint in the 1999-2001
      period, although there are some known that are dated after
      this period.

      Also, recently, a small group of them came out from the
      Denver Mint, mostly dated 2007, along with some great
      major errors (all from the Denver Mint).

      On my last floor tour of the Phila. Mint, in 2006, with
      Dave Camire (NGC) and Rich Schemmer, we saw whole FF's
      with their tips struck by US coins, and numerous coins
      (mostly State Quarters that particular day) struck on
      fragments of FF's - some laying on top of special Red
      Lock Boxes that ALL error coins were supposed to go into,
      to prevent them from being taken out of the Mint.

      So, yes, they exist; they're aluminum (very very light
      for their size, although I've never done any analysis)
      and they are known to be struck by US dies, from Cents
      thru Dollars.

      Fred
    • fred_weinberg
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 6, 2012
        Steve,

        I think I recall seeing it; I don't believe it was mine.

        My faint recollection was that it was aluminum, very thin,
        not from a FF, but I couldn't figure out what it may have
        been, or what it came from.....sorry 'bout that..........

        Fred