Possible transitional error - Philippine 25c

  • jylitalo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3 10:37 AM
      (Uploaded 5 x images to default folder)

      This one is a 25c dated 1966 from the Philippines. The planchet weighs 4.0 grams. (Normal weight should be 5.0 grams)

      At first I though I might be dealing with an elliptical clip because there are no other denominational planchets in this year series that weigh 4.0 grams however, after further research I found that in 1967 the 25c design changed as did the weight of the planchet, 4.0 grams.

      In the sweetest of moments the light bulb then went off, thinking perhaps this is a 'transitional error' and this planchet meant for 1967 25c coinage was struck by 1966 25c Philippine dies.

      While diagnostics for an elliptical clip include a portion of the edge which may have made contact with the collar, (as did this coin with imparted reeding proving collar contact), I don't see a 'cut and tear' texture on the portion of the edge without reeding.

      While I certainly cannot rule out a foreign planchet, the alloy content for both 1966 and 1967 25c planchets were composed of copper-zinc-nickel.

      Not sure what else I can do to verify this one could be classified other than the generic 'wrong planchet'....blah, blah.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3 1:48 PM
        The planchet was clearly undersized. Did the diameter of the coin change from 1966 to 1967?

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3 2:02 PM
          Yes, the diameter did change. It was reduced from 24mm to 21mm.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3 2:52 PM
            A transitional error would require a rather unlikely series of events. The U.S. Mint struck 25 sentimos for the Phillipines in 1967, but did not strike any 25 centavos in 1966. I would presume the Manila Mint struck the 25 centavos in 1966. How a planchet intended for 1967 made its way from the U.S. to Manila in 1966 is hard to fathom.

            I suppose stranger things have happened.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3 5:30 PM
              Thanks for the twist of information.

              It surely makes the tap water a bit more lemony.