Quarter with minor die attrition error

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2012
      This 1991-P quarter has a minor die attrition error at its northern end:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360491833136

      This error occurs when a misaligned hammer die collides repeatedly with the beveled entrance of the collar. This gradually wears away the edge of the field portion of the die and the outer parts of the peripheral letters.

      I have a much more severe die attrition error in another 1991-P quarter in exactly the same spot. I suspect this new acquistion represents an earlier stage in the attrition process.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2012
        Like my other specimen, this strike is well-centered. If both coins are from the same die pair, it would mean that the hammer die was alternating between a misaligned position and a centered position. Such oscillations are well-documented from a wide range of errors, including other die attrition progressions.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
          It turns out they're not from the same die pair. The more severe of the two represents an earlier die state. It's damnably difficult to find die attrition progressions. I've only encountered one such progression.