Error

  • rjrisi@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
      Sent from my iPhone
    • rjrisi@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 36 KB
      I believe this to be a capped die rather than a uniface strike? All agree? Weight is normal at 2.5 but so are uniface strikes. This coin has full rims and somewhat of a distorted image of Lincoln.
      Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
        It's a generic capped die strike.

      • rjrisi@yahoo.com
        Message 4 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
        • 1 Attachment
        • 88 KB
        I'm not sure if this was the exact coin but I think it is that was written up by Mike D awhile back in errorscope and I used to have that issue but no longer. I believe the coins description is correct as a very brittle planchet aka broken coin that this term was used. I've always loved this coin with date present too and should have it slabbed but I would hate it if they diagnosed the error incorrectly. It appears to be a nice mint state error as well.
      • rjrisi@yahoo.com
        Message 5 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
        • 1 Attachment
        • 99 KB
        I believe these words were used in that article as not being a ragged clip? Otherwise I wouldn't have written this on the holder.
      • Steve Mills
        Message 6 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012

          What a cool coin!

          What analyses have you gone through to come to the “very brittle” conclusion?

          Steve

        • rjrisi@yahoo.com
          Message 7 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
            I bought it with that description and I believe this same coin was written up in a past errorscope issue.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Nov 26, 2012, at 2:21 PM, "Steve Mills" <steve@...> wrote:

            What a cool coin!

            What analyses have you gone through to come to the “very brittle” conclusion?

            Steve

          • jylitalo
            Message 8 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
              This coin was written up in Coin world most recently by Mike D. (14 March 2011).

              Your right Rob, it is not a ragged clip. Any number of possibilities of a bad alloy or during annealing may have led to the 'brittle' your referring to. It is considered to be an "alloy" type of error (at least what caused the brittleness).

              Jeff

            • rjrisi@yahoo.com
              Message 9 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                Yes I may have that article too as those write ups were towards the back in publishers clearinghouse and it was written up in errorscope about 3-4 yrs ago too when the coin was owned by the then owner A. Chio whom I bought the coin from.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 10 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                  The clean, sharp break on the left side, the crumbling margins, and the many radial splits indicate that the planchet was abnormally brittle. It may have skipped the annealing oven or may have been loaded with impurities (or both).

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <steve@...> wrote:

                  > What a cool coin!
                  >

                  > What analyses have you gone through to come to the "very brittle"
                  > conclusion?
                  >

                  > Steve

                • Robert Risi
                  Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2014
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 91 KB
                  Going thru some errors on this snowy day up here in NY and came across this unusual off center stretch strike cent with no detail on obverse or reverse. I looked closely at obverse and I see no detail. Could this b an off center blank. ?? Any comments. It's strange.....
                • dermestid
                  Message 12 of 17 , Feb 3, 2014
                    This sort of extreme uniface stretch strike is not all that rare.