Error

  • rjrisi@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 130 KB
    Not quite sure if this is just a double struck nickel looks like it has a lot more things going on with it and your opinions anybody
  • rjrisi@yahoo.com
    Message 2 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 115 KB
    Another confusing error appears to be a brockage and then indent with a nice struck thru reeding going across the center on this 1990 quarter
    Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
      It looks like there may be three strikes involved. The first strike looks to have been a full, centered or nearly centered first-strike brockage of the reverse design on the obverse face. Then, without moving on the anvil die, it appears to have received a full indent by a planchet fed on top of it. It then appears to have shifted, only to be indented on the third strike on both faces -- a full indent on the obverse and a partial indent on the reverse.

      A close-up inspection would be necessary to confirm these impressions. Whatever the actual sequence of events, it was clearly unusual.

    • mdia1@aol.com
      Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
        I see no brockage.  What I do see is an 80% indent with some shaved-off reeding having been trapped beneath the planchet represented by your coin and the overlying planchet.

        Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
          Sent from my iPhone
        • rjrisi@yahoo.com
          Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 36 KB
          I believe this to be a capped die rather than a uniface strike? All agree? Weight is normal at 2.5 but so are uniface strikes. This coin has full rims and somewhat of a distorted image of Lincoln.
          Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
            It's a generic capped die strike.

          • rjrisi@yahoo.com
            Message 8 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 88 KB
            I'm not sure if this was the exact coin but I think it is that was written up by Mike D awhile back in errorscope and I used to have that issue but no longer. I believe the coins description is correct as a very brittle planchet aka broken coin that this term was used. I've always loved this coin with date present too and should have it slabbed but I would hate it if they diagnosed the error incorrectly. It appears to be a nice mint state error as well.
          • rjrisi@yahoo.com
            Message 9 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 99 KB
            I believe these words were used in that article as not being a ragged clip? Otherwise I wouldn't have written this on the holder.
          • Steve Mills
            Message 10 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012

              What a cool coin!

              What analyses have you gone through to come to the “very brittle” conclusion?

              Steve

            • rjrisi@yahoo.com
              Message 11 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                I bought it with that description and I believe this same coin was written up in a past errorscope issue.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Nov 26, 2012, at 2:21 PM, "Steve Mills" <steve@...> wrote:

                What a cool coin!

                What analyses have you gone through to come to the “very brittle” conclusion?

                Steve

              • jylitalo
                Message 12 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                  This coin was written up in Coin world most recently by Mike D. (14 March 2011).

                  Your right Rob, it is not a ragged clip. Any number of possibilities of a bad alloy or during annealing may have led to the 'brittle' your referring to. It is considered to be an "alloy" type of error (at least what caused the brittleness).

                  Jeff

                • rjrisi@yahoo.com
                  Message 13 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Yes I may have that article too as those write ups were towards the back in publishers clearinghouse and it was written up in errorscope about 3-4 yrs ago too when the coin was owned by the then owner A. Chio whom I bought the coin from.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 14 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                      The clean, sharp break on the left side, the crumbling margins, and the many radial splits indicate that the planchet was abnormally brittle. It may have skipped the annealing oven or may have been loaded with impurities (or both).

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills" <steve@...> wrote:

                      > What a cool coin!
                      >

                      > What analyses have you gone through to come to the "very brittle"
                      > conclusion?
                      >

                      > Steve

                    • Robert Risi
                      Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2014
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 91 KB
                      Going thru some errors on this snowy day up here in NY and came across this unusual off center stretch strike cent with no detail on obverse or reverse. I looked closely at obverse and I see no detail. Could this b an off center blank. ?? Any comments. It's strange.....
                    • dermestid
                      Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2014
                        This sort of extreme uniface stretch strike is not all that rare.