Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Question re: Gold Toned Susan B Anthony

  • dgtrf55
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2012
      I took a photo of the coin's edge and placed it in the default folder (entitled 79 SBA edge). I'm not sure if this helps you.

      Do you think think it is worthwhile to send it in to CONECA to have evaluated?

      Thanks again!

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2012
        Again, the consensus opinion is that this is not an error. Submission to a CONECA examiner is unlikely to alter that conclusion.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dgtrf55" <gobleje@...> wrote:

        > I took a photo of the coin's edge and placed it in the default folder (entitled 79 SBA edge). I'm not sure if this helps you.
        >

        > Do you think think it is worthwhile to send it in to CONECA to have evaluated?
        >
        > Thanks again!
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Lydston" <lee.lydston@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes. Depending upon how the coin has been stored. Copper Nickel can turn
        > > different colors ranging from almost "gold like" to slate blues with some
        > > pastel reds.
        > >

        > > On the other hand, after looking at your photo's, it's possible that the
        > > coin was gold plated or perhaps annealed to make it look pretty as typically
        > > gold colored toning does not look so complete. At least in my opinion.
        > >

        > > _____

      • dgtrf55
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2012
          Forgive me for not being clearer. I wanted to have it evaluated to find out if it is gold plated or toned, etc. I just realized that CONECA wouldn't be the place to do that type of evaluation.

          Thank you for having patience with me.

          > Again, the consensus opinion is that this is not an error. Submission to a CONECA examiner is unlikely to alter that conclusion.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dgtrf55" <gobleje@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I took a photo of the coin's edge and placed it in the default folder (entitled 79 SBA edge). I'm not sure if this helps you.
          > >

          > > Do you think think it is worthwhile to send it in to CONECA to have evaluated?
          > >
          > > Thanks again!
          > >
          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Lydston" <lee.lydston@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yes. Depending upon how the coin has been stored. Copper Nickel can turn
          > > > different colors ranging from almost "gold like" to slate blues with some
          > > > pastel reds.
          > > >

          > > > On the other hand, after looking at your photo's, it's possible that the
          > > > coin was gold plated or perhaps annealed to make it look pretty as typically
          > > > gold colored toning does not look so complete. At least in my opinion.
          > > >

          > > > _____

        • Lee Lydston
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2012

            Your local jeweler could possibly make that determination.

            href="mailto:errorcoininformationexchange%40yahoogroups.com">errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
            href="mailto:errorcoininformationexchange%40yahoogroups.com">errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dgtrf55
            > > > Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:59 PM
            > > > To:
            href="mailto:errorcoininformationexchange%40yahoogroups.com">errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
            > > > Subject: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Question re: Gold
            Toned Susan B
            > > > Anthony
            > > >

            > > > Hi all, I tried finding the answer to my question on the
            internet but didn't
            > > > have any luck.
            > > >
            > > > Is it normal for a '79 Susan B Anthony to change colors and
            appear gold
            > > > toned? I posted pictures in the default album.
            > > >
            > > > Thank you.

          • dgtrf55
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2012
              Thank you!

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Lydston" <lee.lydston@...> wrote:

              > Your local jeweler could possibly make that determination.
              >

              > _____

            • Dan Mancuso
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 16, 2012
                also, the purer the gold, the less it is vulnerable to contamination. If there is suspect gold on the edge of the coin you can try "rubbing" it on some dark stone like slate, the gold will be quite visible, and since a gold plated SBA is worth about a $1.10 or so, not much is lost.

                If it is "toning" it should not be a solid single color, and not brightly reflective.  Despite some folks belief, toning is damage, a form of "rust" oxidation, Sulphation? (whatever alternate term you like to use for tarnish to equate what oxygen does to iron)  The thing is, it happens in a way that causes coloration.

                Another drastic thing is trying to remove it, The gold will not come off easy, it would take a decent acid to get it off. "toning" on the other hand can be removed easily.  BUT!!!  proceed with caution, Toned coins (especially naturally toned coins (done with acid paper/cigar boxes and time) are another collectable like error coins.  There are some serious folks., and a LOT of tone fakers as well.  a "naturally" toned coin follows "rules" and is difficult to fake.

                I read mail off-line to I do not have easy access to the fedault photo place, but if I remember it this afternoon, I will try to have a look, I have a small number of gold plated coins. Perhaps when I photograph the couple favorite error coins I have, I can shoot one of two of them, not US coins, but clearly  gold plated (I plated them myself, so I know it's 24K gold :-)

                PS. "GOLD" is not a natural toned "color", but there are other "toning" methods that might produce a gold appearance.  A tan-like color is the early stage of tarnish, and a series of SBA PROOF coins were made with silver, the tan color combined with the proof surface might produce a convincing gold appearance.
                Pleese du excuese n't mai tyepos wehn do nt ayemaikn thwm
                HTTP://WWW.QOINAGE.COM/photography  WWW.QOINAGE.COM/coins

                Thank you!