Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Help on determining 1983 50c

  • susan magluilo
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
      That all seems to make perfect sense.  I had not seen anything like this b4 and was curious.  I have become obsessed with Kennedy half dollars lately, and am sure to move on to something else soon.
      Susan

      From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

      I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

      From: "susan magluilo" <dylan.grace@...>

      [Attachment(s) from susan magluilo included below]
      Hi all, I have searched and searched but can not find anything similar. Is there anyone who can determine what these "V" cuts are on this coin?
      Thank you for your time and efforts.

    • Lee Lydston
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012

        Since die’s are slightly conical in shape and since weak strikes generally show up near the perimeter of coins, I’m under the impression that the center of the coin receives more striking pressure than the edges where these letter exist.

        From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

        I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012

          There does appear to be doubling but without clearer and more precise photographs, it is impossible to tell.

          I have no idea what may have caused the apparent consistency of that wedge along the peripheral letters.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012

            Please, do not move on to something else. Kennedy’s are fascinating coins and are still readily available at Face Value. Production of the coins, given their large size and relative hardness, has created some interesting and collectible striking anomolies.

            From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

            I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

            From: "susan magluilo" <dylan.grace@...>

          • innff@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
              Especially die clashes. Take a look at some of these.

              From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

              I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012

                I love those clashes...Can not wait till I find one.
                Susan

                From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

                I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
                  I will set up my camera for a more natural photo...these were taken with my digital microscope.
                  Susan

                  There does appear to be doubling but without clearer and more precise photographs, it is impossible to tell.

                  I have no idea what may have caused the apparent consistency of that wedge along the peripheral letters.

                  First, thank you for the arrows and your quick reply.

                  And yes, the arrows are pointing to the areas I was interested in.  I will be more prudent when posting pictures.

                  Royalorleans has said it must be  "deterioration of the die" , I will accept that and move on.  Do you think there may be a DDO here?

                  I could be wrong but I think she is referring to the “V” shapes along the shafts of the letters in LIBERTY .

                  Hi Susan. I see no "V cuts" or anything else out of the ordinary. Perhaps you can draw an arrow to the area that interests you.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, susan magluilo <dylan.grace@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all, I have searched and searched but can not find anything similar. Is
                  there
                  > anyone who can determine what these "V" cuts are on this coin?
                  >
                  > Thank you for your time and efforts.

                • Dan Mancuso
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
                    I have a die, from a quarter, from the Mint (they are available)
                    Mine is the New Mexico one, this one is Iowa.

                    Pleese du excuese n't mai tyepos dont aye wehn maikn tham

                    From: "royalorleans@..." <royalorleans@...>

                    I'm guessing these are the V's she is seeing. maybe die detioration?

                    From: "susan magluilo" <dylan.grace@...>

                  Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
                    I see nothing in your photos that would indicate the presence of a doubled die.

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, susan magluilo <dylan.grace@...> wrote:

                    > First, thank you for the arrows and your quick reply.
                    > And yes, the arrows are pointing to the areas I was interested in. I will be
                    > more prudent when posting pictures.
                    >
                    > Royalorleans has said it must be "deterioration of the die" , I will accept
                    > that and move on. Do you think there may be a DDO here?
                  • Michael Evanchik
                    Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
                      hey,that first one was mine.yeah,im published,lol.when i first switched over to collecting only lincoln memorial cent errors,before i sold it on ebay,i thought the mad die clash guys might want it for photographing.i beleive it was bj that ended up buying it.thanks for the credits.for me in life,its the little things.

                      From: "susan magluilo" mailto:dylan.grace@...

                      [Attachment(s) from susan magluilo included below]
                      Hi all, I have searched and searched but can not find anything similar. Is there anyone who can determine what these "V" cuts are on this coin?
                      Thank you for your time and efforts.

                    • Rob Risi
                      Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2012
                        wow i cant believe we are on this topic cause my friend that belongs to my local coin club always liked errors and has only 3-4 left as he is in his 70's and his favorite coin is an 83 5% MAD major clashed die Half dollar as these must be known as they are cataloged with #'s and its quite a dramatic clashed die like the photographed Mike Diamond's coin....I sent my friends coin in to NGC and came back as such with a nice MS66 grade too and my main question is its value as my friend has no clue.
                        the combination of the strong dieclash and misaligned die is a nice combo.
                        i'm guessing $150? am i too low or two high???
                        thanks

                        ~ROB RISI~

                            From: "susan magluilo" mailto:dylan.grace@...