Re: 1972-D Kennedy Cud.

  • bigdcoins
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
      Yeah the Major die breaks (cuds) are obvious, but rims cuds are often confussed with rolling fold errors. Just uploaded 4 photos in the end of the default album that are also of a 72 D Kennedy half with what appears to be a cud at 7:00 reverse, but is a rolling fold error.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
        Your coin does indeed have a rolling fold (blanking burr). Could you provide close-ups of the copper-colored region on the reverse face as well as the opposing area on the obverse face? While I'd like to think this is a missing clad error, the zone around ES OF has the design partly erased and the featureless area is not copper-colored.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bigdcoins" <bigdcoins@...> wrote:

        > Yeah the Major die breaks (cuds) are obvious, but rims cuds are often confussed with rolling fold errors. Just uploaded 4 photos in the end of the default album that are also of a 72 D Kennedy half with what appears to be a cud at 7:00 reverse, but is a rolling fold error.

        > > It's a rim cud, rather than a cud proper. Part of the rim gutter of the obverse die chipped off.
        > >
        > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "llydston" <lee.lydston@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've uploaded 4 photo's to the default album of a coin recently pulled from some bank rolls.
        > > >
        > > > Is this more than just a simple CUD?
        > > >
        > > > Lee

      • bigdcoins
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
          Uploaded 3 more photos of it Mike (default album)., Is all I have on file of it for now., Not much for the obverse but let us know what ya see., Appreciate ya. Doug

          > Your coin does indeed have a rolling fold (blanking burr). Could you provide close-ups of the copper-colored region on the reverse face as well as the opposing area on the obverse face? While I'd like to think this is a missing clad error, the zone around ES OF has the design partly erased and the featureless area is not copper-colored.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bigdcoins" <bigdcoins@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yeah the Major die breaks (cuds) are obvious, but rims cuds are often confussed with rolling fold errors. Just uploaded 4 photos in the end of the default album that are also of a 72 D Kennedy half with what appears to be a cud at 7:00 reverse, but is a rolling fold error.
          > >
          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > It's a rim cud, rather than a cud proper. Part of the rim gutter of the obverse die chipped off.

        • bigdcoins
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
            Okay just shot 5 more pix., Got obverse a little closer and even got ya an edge pix., LMK

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
              Well, it's definitely a missing clad error. What I can't figure out is why the featureless, downward-sloping zone on the perimeter of the affected area is grayish in color. I can only guess that it has odd toning or discoloration that coincidentally resembles the color of the cladding.

              It's pretty neat that you'd have two apparently unrelated planchet errors on this coin.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bigdcoins" <bigdcoins@...> wrote:

              > Okay just shot 5 more pix., Got obverse a little closer and even got ya an edge pix., LMK
              >

              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bigdcoins" <bigdcoins@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Uploaded 3 more photos of it Mike (default album)., Is all I have on file of it for now., Not much for the obverse but let us know what ya see., Appreciate ya. Doug
              > >
              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Your coin does indeed have a rolling fold (blanking burr). Could you provide close-ups of the copper-colored region on the reverse face as well as the opposing area on the obverse face? While I'd like to think this is a missing clad error, the zone around ES OF has the design partly erased and the featureless area is not copper-colored.

            • bigdcoins
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
                Thanks for the input Mike., Yeah I thought it was neat enough to pick up (Atlanta coin and Currency show last weekend) and look at through a scope., i'll be sticking it up on ebay in a week or two with a few others., Take care for now. Doug