San Francisco Saddle Strike

  • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Here's a nifty error.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3004644150

      It's a 1970-S cent that was first struck off-center and then received
      a saddle strike.
    • maaswhole
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        I notice the slab says triple struck. Isn't it only double struck?

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond

      • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          It's a matter of semantics. You can say it was struck once and then
          experienced two simultaneous strikes in two adjacent striking
          chambers.

          Others would say that since the two strikes occurred at the same
          time, it only counts as a single strike.

          Others might counter that since two die pairs are involved, then
          that's equivalent to two strikes.

          The other party might respond by saying that if there's only one
          downstroke, then that's a single strike.

          The counterpoint might be that, since the downstroke involved two
          different hammer dies (linked, to be sure), it counts as two strikes.

          Like I say, it's really a judgement call. For me, as long as you
          specify the "triple strike" as being a saddle strike on a struck
          coin, then you can't go wrong.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, maaswhole