Re: New Illinois Quarter Mint Bag ERRORS

  • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi Brenda.

      Let's take last things first. The missing elbow and hair details are
      undoubtedly due to a filled die. Various kinds of crud end up
      getting impacted into the recess of the die, which naturally weakens
      or eliminates the corresponding features on the coins.

      The funny color may be due to "copper wash". It has been claimed
      that copper-nickel (or in this case, Cu-Ni clad) planchets that are
      left in a chemical rinse too long will pick up free copper ions from
      the solution.

      However, state quarters have emerged over the last four years
      sporting almost every color of the rainbow, plus some: copper, brown,
      red, orange, yellow, gray, black, green, pewter, purple, and I've
      probably left some out. Most of these colors cannot be accomodated
      by the copper wash hypothesis, which leaves open the possibility that
      even the copper-colored ones acquired their tint from some other
      source.

      What that source is is anybody's guess.

      A dull finish, sometimes tinted and sometimes normal-colored, has
      also been a frequent occurrence. Again, the cause is unknown.
      Whether the dull finish and odd colors are related is unclear.
      Sometimes the strangely colored ones are shiny and sometimes they're
      dull.

      Minor filled die errors are common and do not carry much of a
      premium. Likewise, oddly colored quarters are not that valuable,
      although I have seem some of them reach inexplicably high prices in
      eBay auctions.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "purdy_grn_iiis