Very nice abnormal chain strike

  • seanqueue
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      Mike, I know you've written on this subject in Errorscope a couple of
      times, but I don't think I've ever seen a better example of this eror
      type than this:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3004558961&category=524

      IIRC youlaid out some samples in a progression, this coin would seem
      to be one extreme end of that spectrum.

      Sean Reynolds
      CONECA #N-2090
    • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
        Although the notch is more concave than most, I suspect that you are
        right about this being an abnormal, or notched, chain strike as
        opposed to a broadstrike with a clip.

        The presence of the notch at the 1:00 position is consistent with
        this interpretation, as is the absence of metal flow in the letters
        on the reverse that border the notch.

        One sure test is to weigh the thing. A notched chain strike will
        weigh the same as a normal cent, while a clipped broadstrike will be
        underweight.

        This coin also has a very pronounced collar scar on the reverse.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue

      • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
          Additionally, a notched chain strike will have a distinctive contact
          facet while a clip will not have a contact facet. The contact facet
          of a notched chain strike will have a smooth microscopic texture and
          will be usually be flat or slightly concave in vertical cross
          section. The exposed edge of a clip, even after being plated with
          copper, will show a rough texture from the shearing/tearing action of
          the blanking press. It will also be flat in vertical cross section.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond
          <mdia1@a...>" <mdia1@a...> wrote:
          > Although the notch is more concave than most, I suspect that you
          are
          > right about this being an abnormal, or notched, chain strike as
          > opposed to a broadstrike with a clip.
          >
          > The presence of the notch at the 1:00 position is consistent with
          > this interpretation, as is the absence of metal flow in the letters
          > on the reverse that border the notch.
          >
          > One sure test is to weigh the thing. A notched chain strike will
          > weigh the same as a normal cent, while a clipped broadstrike will
          be
          > underweight.
          >
          > This coin also has a very pronounced collar scar on the reverse.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Mike, I know you've written on this subject in Errorscope a
          couple
          > of
          > > times, but I don't think I've ever seen a better example of this
          > eror
          > > type than this:
          > >
          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
          > ViewItem&item=3004558961&category=524
          > >
          > > IIRC youlaid out some samples in a progression, this coin would
          seem
          > > to be one extreme end of that spectrum.
          > >

          > > Sean Reynolds
          > > CONECA #N-2090
        • j_t_wax
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
            When I purchased this coin it was labeled as offcenter/chainstrike,
            although I described it as an offcenter in the auction listing, it
            should be better termed as uncentered braodstrike... I will weigh
            the coin to see what I can come up with.

            Regards. JT

          • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
              So, what'd you come up with, J.T.?

              I also notice that your coin has what Charles Rickard calls
              a "cartoon Lincoln". A better term would be "stress doubling"
              or "split-line doubling" as it can affect other features.

              The copper plating splits to create an outline of Lincoln's craggy
              profile. It's pretty common on broadstrikes and off-center strikes.
              People used to think it indicated a double strike, but that's not the
              case.

              Split-line doubling can affect other features, such as the columns of
              the Memorial and the outer parts of the peripheral lettering.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, j_t_wax