Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Weak, off-center second strike

  • Jon P. Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2012
      I agree with what you've said. It would be an easier error to "fake", since there isn't nearly as much to authenticate the coin since the strike is so weak. I'd have to see it to know for sure.

      Jon

      On May 5, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

      This 1949 cent shows a weak second strike that is about 40% off-center:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/280871823094

      I see no obvious signs that it's a fake. As with all genuine double strikes of this nature, there is sharp but incomplete penetration of first-strike elements through the second strike. Of course, it would take a close examination to eliminate the possibility of a professionally produced set of counterfeit dies.

      Any other opinions?

      Sullivan Numismatics
      Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties