DRAT, AND DOUBLE DRAT; 2ND AGAIN!

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2012
      I really hated to finish 2nd again on this beautiful and unusual capped die strike. Could it be a 2nd strike mirror brockage, with 2 intervening o/c planchets chain striking against each other and leaving the corner of the memorial building at K8 as the clue as to what's happening. I do not think it is a cap clash, as it is featureless and shows no underlying design.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=290690898468&nma=true&rt=nc&si=1zeXxBFG4%252BjQRBBh7wLJUFs990c%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

      Very interesting coin. I never saw anything like it before. Gonna have to start mortgaging Boardwalk and Park Place from now on. Gee whiz!
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2012
        This coin was struck by an early-stage die cap and carries and early-stage brockage. Prior to the strike that generated this coin, the cap struck a pair of planchets, which left a pair of indents side-by-side on its working face. This distorted the raised design on the working face of the die cap The auction coin shows the result -- two areas of the brockage that are distorted and that sit on low plateaus.