Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] My 'Tribute' to Arnie Margolis

  • jtstanton@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
      Hi Fred and all,

      I too have been writing (in my head) my own experiences with Arnie since I heard of his passing yesterday.  When time is more available tomorrow, I'll add my thoughts to the keyboard and share with all.  I will say this now; Arnie and I met at the Atlanta ANA in 1987, just after I had been elected President of CONECA.  Those of you active at that time will remember the situation, and I will say that Arnie and I got along very well.

      Arnie will be missed by us all.  But more importantly, Arnie will be missed by those who have yet to read his highly educational articles.  His contributions to numismatics in general, and to error collectors in general, are priceless.  And with all he has done for our wonderful hobby, never once did I ever hear him ask for anything in return.

      Fred, thanks a lot for your thoughts.  You were closer to him than anyone else that I know of.  Your thoughts, and memories shared, are greatly appreciated.

      God bless you Arnie.  Best wishes to you all.

      JT

      J. T. Stanton
      Professional Numismatist
      221 East 54 St
      Savannah, GA 31405
      E-mail: jtstanton@...
      Cell: 912-667-5799
      Fax: 912-233-1291

      In a message dated 3/28/2012 11:48:32 Eastern Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      This is a 'stream of consciousness' tribute
      I wrote early yesterday morning, about an
      hour after I heard that he had passed away.

      I thought I might share it with all of you
      in ECIE - for those of you who knew Arnie,
      and especially for those of you who didn't.

      Arnold Margolis – An Error Hobby Pioneer

      With the passing of Arnold Margolis, the error coin hobby has lost one of the original pioneers of this segment of coin collecting. I had the honor and pleasure of knowing Arnie for almost 50 years – and I've always credited Arnie as being one of the three people who encouraged and motivated me to become a coin dealer, which has been my profession for 40 years.

      Arnie was a former Senior Video Control Engineer for NBC for over 35 years, and was proud of his decades of work there, and his contacts with history, including being on the NBC team that presented the funeral of John F. Kennedy in 1963.

      Arnie was a member of the Board of CONE (Collectors of Numismatic Errors), the first major national error club, and was also the first President of it's off shoot, NECA (Numismatic Error Collectors of America). His participation in numismatics also included being past President of the Queens Country Coin Club, and of NECOLI (Numismatic Error Collectors of Long Island).

      His list of authored books and publications include: How Error Coins Are Made in the U.S. Mints, The Error Collector's handbook, Mint Errors on Carson City Dollars, The Error Coin Encyclopedia (4 editions), The Numismatic Error Primer, Co-author of The Design Cud, and long-time Publisher of NECA's monthly Errorscope.

      He won awards for his work, and was a member of the NGC (Numismatic Literary Guild In addition to numerous award-winning articles about error coins and the Minting Process that have been published in the Numismatist and other coin Publications, he was active in producing error coin seminars for the ANA annual Conventions, and was a judge for the Error Coin category for the ANA and for FUN.

      A tireless advocate for education and knowledge in the coin hobby, one of his proudest achievements was the continual publication, since 1968, of ETCM –Error Trends Coin Magazine, which was issued without interruption, till early 2011, when he had to cease writing and publishing ETCM due to health issues. When he first started ETCM in 1968, it was the first commercial Error publication and he made sure each month's issue contained information on the Minting Process, how to reach the marketplace of error collectors, and education of what `odd' or `strange' coins collectors found.

      Arnie, along with Mort Goodman (deceased) were the face of the error hobby In the 1960's – Mort traveling across the country from Los Angeles , with a large educational exhibit in the trunk of his car, stopping by coin club meetings and making a presentation about the Minting Process and Mint Errors. When he got to New York and finally met Arnie, the two became fast friends, starting Mar-Good, a company that issued the very first coin boards to hold errors.

      I had been writing back and forth with Arnie since about 1964, and met him for the first time at the inaugural "Error-A-Rama" coin show – the very first coin show dedicated to Error Coins, at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, in the summer of 1967. Arnie, along with Mort Goodman and Syd Kass, let me help with the convention and show exhibits, and my enthusiasm and knowledge gained from the one coin show led me to a 40-year profession as a coin dealer.

      At that show, without my knowledge, Arnie had invited my mother to attend the EAR Banquet, where he presented me, as a 17-year old, a special Award as EAR's "Man Friday" for all of the help and time I had given the show. What was on the Plaque, in addition to the words of thanks? An actual Comb – because, It being 1967, my hair was pretty long for a coin collector – and one of the few young numismatists who were so involved in error coins. We joked about that Plaque ever since!

      In 1973, Arnie and I were invited by the GSA (General Services Administration)to go up to the West Point Depository (not yet an official US Mint), and examine the numerous Mint Error Carson City Dollars that were found as the coins were being processed and packaged in the GSA Plastic cases. One of the reasons they wanted us to see the errors was because of the back-lash to the `high pricing' of the Carson City Dollars- and they thought that any publicity about the possible error coin the purchaser would receive, would be helpful. Arnie wrote articles for Coin World, ETCM, and his own booklet, about our experiences at West Point, and the error coins we were able to examine.

      It was my first time in New York, and his hospitality, along with Joan, his beloved wife, left a memory of that trip that has lasted to this day. It was the continuation of a friendship and a relationship that has never ended, to this day.

      Arnie was also proud to be one of the sponsors who literally pushed the ANA to recognize error coins in their own category of Exhibits, at the 1977 ANA Convention in Atlanta. That was considered a major milestone in our hobby segment.

      For the past three decades or so, Arnie and I were always in contact – by phone sharing information, asking questions, trying to figure out `stumpers' of error coins that we just quite couldn't figure out – as well as buying and selling error coins.

      Arnie was `Arnie' – with his New York `edge,' an endearing quality I was always able to see as part of the great man he was, helping always with the truth, his honest view of a situation, and his only regard for the education and enlightenment of the collector.
      In the past ten years, we had always set up next to each other at the annual FUN shows in January, where we would share memories, stories, and current events of the error coin hobby. On the bourse floor, at dinner, or just on the phone, you knew you were in contact with one of the great supporters of Coins and Mint Error coins!

      Arnie's impact on my life, both professionally and personally, has been great. In addition to the motivation and education he gave me, he also was one of the first in the business to show me that honesty, integrity, and fellowship are important components of life, in every segment.

      Although Arnie had been ill for just over a year, it was still a shock to me to hear of his passing this morning. One of the most important people to be part of most of my life is gone – but someone like Arnie will never be forgotten. His impact on the numismatic world at large, and specifically in our smaller community of error coins, will be felt forever.

      Fred Weinberg

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
        It's been a few years, JT. I'm glad you're still monitoring the goings-on in this group.

        Sorry there was a delay in getting this message up on the board. For some reason it was sent to my "messages waiting to be approved box" without the usual e-mail alert. I have fixed your status to make sure this doesn't happen again and that all future posts go straight through.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jtstanton@... wrote:

> [...]
        > current events of the error coin hobby. On the bourse floor, at dinner, or just
        > on the phone, you knew you were in contact with one of the great supporters
        > of Coins and Mint Error coins!
        >
        > Arnie's impact on my life, both professionally and personally, has been
        > great. In addition to the motivation and education he gave me, he also was
        > one of the first in the business to show me that honesty, integrity, and
        > fellowship are important components of life, in every segment.
        >
        > Although Arnie had been ill for just over a year, it was still a shock to
        > me to hear of his passing this morning. One of the most important people to
        > be part of most of my life is gone â€" but someone like Arnie will never be
        > forgotten. His impact on the numismatic world at large, and specifically in
        > our smaller community of error coins, will be felt forever.

      • fred_weinberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          JT - great to hear from you, and thanks
          for the nice words about Arnie....

          Glad to see you 'back', if only for this
          subject.....Let's see some more of you!

          Fred

        • jtstanton@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
            Hi Fred (and all),

            I sold my store about 8 months ago, and now back to doing what I like......home improvement on my own home!  It never ends, but is enjoyable.  I'm hoping to make some coin shows in the near future.  I have missed everyone.

            To the main subject, Arnie touched so many of us, and in so many positive ways.  Even more omportantly, he touched so many people who may not realize it.  His contributions to the hobby will benefit us all for decades to come.

            Best wishes all!

            JT

            J. T. Stanton
            Professional Numismatist
            221 East 54 St
            Savannah, GA 31405
            E-mail: jtstanton@...
            Cell: 912-667-5799
            Fax: 912-233-1291

          • innff@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
              That is some great new JT. I hope to see you at the F.U.N. shows.

              BJ