Re: Triple/saddle strike on broadstruck cent

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
      The picture is decidedly mixed on this, Rob. I've seen many scraped, scratched, gouged, bent, and crumpled error coins given lofty mint-state grades by the various grading services. At the same time, I've seen quite a few unblemished error coins given AU grades.

      Basically it's a crapshoot what kind of grade you'll end up with when you submit a coin. One should never rely on the grade printed on a slab label to provide an indication as to a coin's condition.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

      > Although i kinda like NGC as to their holders, but they basically bitch about every little thing and won't "grade" such errors with a counting wheel skid let alone a really light well blended in mark.....or a slight rim bump/etc, where as pcgs is much more leniant.
      >

      > ~ROB RISI~

      > ________________________________

    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
        Agreed....like some coins that have an MS61 or 62 grade that looks MS64 or 65.....if i like the coins eye appeal i don't care what the numerical grade indicates, but some buyers do when it comes time to resell, they bitch and moan on prices, and many of times cracking such coins out is a better idea and to sell them raw. I once got 4 off center 1964 silver dimes back from NGC and all came back with different grades from MS63-65, well 2 were the same and literally the 63 grade looked better than the 65! and the 64 looked so-so and i think they got mixed up, and certain errors i feel are 64-65's come back 62 or 63 and vice-versa....But in general i'm usually satisfied, as i don't submit too often, maybe 1-2 times a year, and awaiting the return of 16 errors from NGC in 7-10 days or so, and as always, anxious to see their grades. It's like getting new coins in?

        ~ROB RISI~

        The picture is decidedly mixed on this, Rob. I've seen many scraped, scratched, gouged, bent, and crumpled error coins given lofty mint-state grades by the various grading services. At the same time, I've seen quite a few unblemished error coins given AU grades.

        Basically it's a crapshoot what kind of grade you'll end up with when you submit a coin. One should never rely on the grade printed on a slab label to provide an indication as to a coin's condition.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

        > Although i kinda like NGC as to their holders, but they basically bitch about every little thing and won't "grade" such errors with a counting wheel skid let alone a really light well blended in mark.....or a slight rim bump/etc, where as pcgs is much more leniant.
        >

        > ~ROB RISI~

        > ________________________________

      • Jon P. Sullivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2011
          I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.

          Jon

          On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

          I don't see any indication in the photo of cleaning, improper or otherwise. I wouldn't put it past this grading service to disparage a coin with perfectly natural toning. I've long ago learned to treat anything I read on slab label with a heavy dose of skepticism.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

          > Very low price, even with the cleaning....A nice error nevertheless.
          >
          > > ~ROB RISI~
          > ________________________________

          Sullivan Numismatics
          Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2011
            I wasn't aware that purple toning was a reliable indicator of an old dipping. I've got a number of purple-toned cents and they look rather attractive. I will file this information away for future use.

            I'm curious whether you've personally seen dipped coins turn this color over time.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@...> wrote:

            > I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.
            >
            > Jon
            >

            > On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:
            >
            > > I don't see any indication in the photo of cleaning, improper or otherwise. I wouldn't put it past this grading service to disparage a coin with perfectly natural toning. I've long ago learned to treat anything I read on slab label with a heavy dose of skepticism.
            > >
            > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Very low price, even with the cleaning....A nice error nevertheless.

            > > > ________________________________

          • Michael Evanchik
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8, 2011
              me too as i have a beautiful triple struck cent in an ngc holder that has deep electric purple toning and looks quite natural to me.will post some photos later.mike e.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 9, 2011
                It can be purple and be natural, but dipping and other cleaning methods often turn cents some version of purple (although obviously there are other colors they turn as well, but purple is pretty common.) An to answer your question, yes, I've personally turned coins a version of purple whilst dipping them.

                Jon

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 10, 2011
                  I have the cent. There is no purple toning. There is only natural brown toning. The coin shows no evidence of dipping or polishing. It appears to be uncirculated, probably MS-64.

                  As I hoped, NGC completely blew it. I will crack it out of its slab as that only diminishes its value.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@...> wrote:

                  > It can be purple and be natural, but dipping and other cleaning methods often turn cents some version of purple (although obviously there are other colors they turn as well, but purple is pretty common.) An to answer your question, yes, I've personally turned coins a version of purple whilst dipping them.
                  >
                  > Jon
                  >

                  > On Dec 7, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:
                  >
                  > > I wasn't aware that purple toning was a reliable indicator of an old dipping. I've got a number of purple-toned cents and they look rather attractive. I will file this information away for future use.
                  > >
                  > > I'm curious whether you've personally seen dipped coins turn this color over time.
                  > >
                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jon

                • colonialjohn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 18, 2011
                    Seems reasonable any oxidized forms of Cu & Zn are not purple. If you dip copper with primary or secondary solvents such as methanol, isopropyl alcohol it DOES leave a purple sheen on the coins more often than not ... FYI ... JPL.